none
WSS 3.0 document library metadata loseing in sharepoint site

    Question

  • We trying to restore the Sharepoint content database and creating a sharepoint site (which as document template library) in a new server, on doing that migration once the site is attached to content database, its showing all the document metadata initially but as the time goes its losing all the metadata. but we are using same WSS 3.0 version and service pack, but in some case its losing the metadata.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:20 PM

All replies

  • Can you provide a little more information in regard to what you are seeing? For example, what is the metadata that is being lost? Is there a pattern as to what is lost first, second, and so on? Is this happening for a specific document/document library/site/site collection, or across all sites within that content database?


    Regards,

    Jerad Plesuk
    Technical Support | SharePoint Technologies | Microsoft Corporation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Hi Jerad,

    There is not a specific metadata, which is loosing. We have good number of columns and after 2-3 hours document library is loosing more than 50% of column values. It is not specific to any document, most of the documents are (95%) are in .tif format and in entire site we have only one document library. We don't have any other sharepoint stuffs like other document library, list, blog etc.

    In terms of pattern, I would say there is no pattern but we tried to attach the Content database 2 times and both times record count (documents which are missing metadata) were same.

    Third time, we tried this way: We stopped the WSS search and then attached the Content database and problem solved. But I think this is not the good reason and cause of the problem, which is due to WSS Search, as exactly same number of records (whose metadata were missing) were missing eg: in first time 300 records/ documents were present with missing metadata and second time also 300 records/ metadata were present. However in both the times we did fresh installation of WSS, we deleted the content database and restore it in SQL Server then we attached it to Sharepoint site.

    Hope this will help.

     

    Thanks,

    Kamal Nag

    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:22 PM
  • Unfortuantely, this behavior and issue is not one that I have seen before or have found any similiar occurences of when researching the problem. However, when the metatdata is being lost, is it affecting all the values in a column, or are some values left in the affected column(s)? Can you provide a specific example of what an affected document should have, and what eventually occurs since that would be helpful for trying to visualize specifically what is happening.

    Also, in regard to your solution about stopping search and attaching the content database; when you do this, have you kept the search service stopped and it is only when you restart your search service does the problem occur again? If so, can you confirm that this document library is being crawled and indexed by search as well?


    Regards,

    Jerad Plesuk
    Technical Support | SharePoint Technologies | Microsoft Corporation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Ok, we have good amount of columns in document library. The key column is Contract Number, Contract Date, Type of Contract etc. We are fcing the problem in Key columns. We are facing metadata problem with some of the columns not with every column.

    Yes we keep search service stopped and we have not started the search service after attaching the content database. So document library is not being crawled.

     

    Thanks,

    Kamal Nag

    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I started Search Service, specified the search database, everything was working fine but after 2-3 hours, we faced metadata problem.

     

    Thanks,

    Kamal Nag

    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Since this appears to be a rather unique problem associated to this database, I suggest running dbcc_checkdb against it to see if there are any inconsistency or allocation errors that may indicate a corrupt database. Additionally, another test you could try is exporting the site collection that contains the affected document library and import it to a new web application using a different content database. This would also either provide evidence of a problem with the database itself, or that the database itself is not the cause. 
    Regards,

    Jerad Plesuk
    Technical Support | SharePoint Technologies | Microsoft Corporation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:18 PM