none
Backup Fails because of shadow copy

Question

• I am unable to set up a backup to make the first full backup on a disk that has a system and a data partition. I have tried recreating the shadow copies (succeeded). When I run the backup, I can see these errors:

Event 16387, SPP. Shadow copy creation failed because of error reported by ASR Writer.  More info: The requested system device cannot be found. (0x80073BC3).

Event 521 Backup. Backup started at '6/25/2010 9:16:05 PM' failed as Volume Shadow copy operation failed for backup volumes with following error code '2155348129'. Please rerun backup once issue is resolved.

I have formatted the destination drive (an internal drive with ample space), and I'm doing the regular steps in creating a new backup. I looked at the properties of both source partitions and ensured that shadow copy is enabled on both.

I ran the command "vssadmin list writers" and it shows that all writers (but 1) get state 7 failed, and last error no error. Only the "ASR Writer" gets state 7 and a Non-retryable errror.

This is a volume that was recently restored from a backup, and then I had to run repair on it from the sbs 2008 install disk.

I hope this info helps to solve the problem, because the OS UI gives no indication of how to solve this.

thanks,

Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:00 AM

Answers

• Jeff, it's fairly easy. It is documented on the SBS Blog site here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/11/03/introducing-sbs-2008-backup.aspx

You connect each USB disks to your server (either both or one at a time, it doesn't matter) and run thru the SBS wizard "Configure Server Backup". This will take you thru the process of selecting the USB disk, and assigning a unique name to the drive. I recommend that once you do this, to put a physical label on this drive with the name assigned. You then will indicate what internal drives you wish to backup to your USB disk, and then configure a backup schedule. At this point your USB drive will then be reformatted. NOTE: once formatted, this USB drive wll not be available as a standard USB disk. SBS will know that is has been formatted to be used only as an SBS Backup device.

Generlly you will only have one USB drive conencted to the server at a time. When you remove the first and connect the second, SBS will detect this automatically.

Finally, if you are interested, the "Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed" book by Eriq Neale has an entire chapter on the SBS 2008 backup/restore process.

If this has been helpful to you, and you wish to close this thread, please mark this as answered. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help you!

-Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP)
    "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Leese Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:34 AM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 11:44 AM

All replies

• Does this help? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968128
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:11 AM
  • It seems like it might, but I can't get past step 3. It requires that c be the active partition, and I just dicovered that B: the backup disk, is currently active. It isn't possible to set C: as active.

Would you happen to have a procedure to set C: as the active disk? C: is currently seen as the System, Boot, Page File, and Crash disk, while B: is Active.

Then I can continue with the link.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:49 AM
  • Are you trying to backup to an internal hard drive rather than an external USB? The SBS 2008 daily backup only supports external removable drives, not internal drives, as the backup process must reformat the drives specifically for backup use.

We have had other people report that the wrong internal drive was picked up when initially installing SBS. Not sure what your options would be short of doing a reinstall from your old backup. I'll check to see if there are any other options for you.

KW Support MVP Blog
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Just to clarify, I have a physically seperate drive for backup. It is internal, but the backup program can format it.

The problem was that this backup drive got made active. I'm not sure what active refers to, or why I can't make the system drive active. I'd like to change the property of the system drive, to make it active.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Well, the problem is now solved. I removed the backup drive that appeared to be active. Then it booted from the C: drive which had the OS. I suppose I might have been able to run backup as of that point, but in a general approach, I ran disk tools on the main drive. After rebooting I looked to see if I could make C: active, but this was still not an option. Conceptually this is baffling, because active means the drive the system is expecting to boot from - I think. One would assume that c: would always be active, or it is implied that it is active when the system has booted from it.

In anycase, when I tried to run backup, it now worked, and the ASR writer problem had disappeared. In my imagination, it had something to do with removing the backup disk, forcing it to recognize the local disk alone, which allowed ASR to run.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:29 AM
  • Exactly. I'm glad to hear you got this working. To be clear, you have several options for backups.

The SBS daily backup requires dedicated use of an EXTERNAL USb hard drive. It's designed so that you would ue two or more external hard drives, and swap them on a daily/weekly basis. This allows you to take the just removed drive offiste for security/disaster recovery purposes.

You can also run 'one time' backups - and these backups can be directed to an internal or network drive, but NOT to your daily USB external drives.

KW Support MVP Blog
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 1:24 PM
  • I'm going to follow your recommendation to set up two external usb backups. I wonder if you might have a link describing the configuration process? I ask because I'm not sure how backup will automatically switch between the two devices. I can see the section in Windows Server Backup where I could add more disks to an existing schedule. But would that just add to the media available, or does it give an option to alternate between media? Also, have you ever seen a documented procedure for restoring a complete system from the backup? Thanks very much for your help here - I wish this was documented with the product...
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Jeff, it's fairly easy. It is documented on the SBS Blog site here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/11/03/introducing-sbs-2008-backup.aspx

You connect each USB disks to your server (either both or one at a time, it doesn't matter) and run thru the SBS wizard "Configure Server Backup". This will take you thru the process of selecting the USB disk, and assigning a unique name to the drive. I recommend that once you do this, to put a physical label on this drive with the name assigned. You then will indicate what internal drives you wish to backup to your USB disk, and then configure a backup schedule. At this point your USB drive will then be reformatted. NOTE: once formatted, this USB drive wll not be available as a standard USB disk. SBS will know that is has been formatted to be used only as an SBS Backup device.

Generlly you will only have one USB drive conencted to the server at a time. When you remove the first and connect the second, SBS will detect this automatically.

Finally, if you are interested, the "Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed" book by Eriq Neale has an entire chapter on the SBS 2008 backup/restore process.

If this has been helpful to you, and you wish to close this thread, please mark this as answered. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help you!

KW Support MVP Blog
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Leese Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:34 AM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 11:44 AM
  • Thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:34 AM