none
Custom Metaverse Attributes not available in Portal Sync Rules

Question

• I've created a couple of custom Metaverse attributes.  I would like to configure an inbound sychronization rule from my HR ma utilizing these attributes.  I am using the Portal to configure this synchronization rule.  My custom Metaverse attributes do not show up when I am configuring the sync rule (not available in the drop-down on the destination tab when configuring a new flow definition) in the Portal.  What do I need to do to get them to show up?

I've also tried creating the attributes in the Portal Schema and setting up flows within the FIMma, which hasn't seemed to help.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thanks!
    -Ryan
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,
    I was the one reporting the problem in one of the threads you mention. I think that the need to reinstall is not by design :) it's just a bug that strikes randomly, I saw it only once. Reinstalling is the faster solution (and the only one right now).

If you backup your service and synchronization service configuration (check the Introduction to the Configuration Migration Tool document), then re-install and apply the backed-up configuration, you will have a working system in little time.

Cheers,
    Paolo

Paolo Tedesco - http://cern.ch/idm
    Friday, January 15, 2010 10:13 AM

All replies

• Make sure that your FIM MA is set to use the Synchronization Account you chose when you installed the FIM Portal.

Then check in the "Search All Requests" to see if the Built-In Synchornization account has updatated the MV-Data object successfully...

Those are the first steps to make sure that the data transferred successfully. If your portal was off-line when you made the changes, you many need to change something to see if you can get it to do those updates again..  I don't think there is a flow of this process published anywhere...

Eric
    Eric
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Refresh the schema on the FIM MA.  If the permissions are correct, the MV attributes you added should now be available for your sync rules in the portal.
    AhmadAW
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Ahmad,
    Refreshing the FIM MA Schema does not help.

Eric,
    The MA is configured correctly.  When I look at the requests involving "mv-data" I see updates from my initial install, but nothing later than that.  No failures, attempts, or successes.

This seems to be an issue updating the "MV-Data" object within the Portal.

I am getting the same error in the Event log as seen in both of the following posts:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ilm2/thread/af437fcf-f945-4082-8b18-4f286970705b

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/ilm2/thread/cf991f2f-05ce-4b25-b0ed-86c3e884c234

A reinstall is the recommended solution in both cases.  I don't expect that each time a custom MV attribute is created, that a reinstall will be required.  I must be missing something.

Thanks!
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Hi Ryan,
    I was the one reporting the problem in one of the threads you mention. I think that the need to reinstall is not by design :) it's just a bug that strikes randomly, I saw it only once. Reinstalling is the faster solution (and the only one right now).

If you backup your service and synchronization service configuration (check the Introduction to the Configuration Migration Tool document), then re-install and apply the backed-up configuration, you will have a working system in little time.

Cheers,
    Paolo

Paolo Tedesco - http://cern.ch/idm
    Friday, January 15, 2010 10:13 AM
  • Thanks for the response Paolo!

I did configure the exact same situation in another environment and have not run into this issue there (fingers crossed), so it would seem random to me :) although I am sure it is not.

One difference between the environments is that the one with the problem is a lab, with everything (FIM Sync, FIM Portal, FIM db's, AD) all living on one box.

I am still interested if anyone knows the cause of this as I'm sure it's something that I will run into again.

In the meantime, I suppose a reinstall is in order.

Thanks!
    -Ryan
    Friday, January 15, 2010 4:03 PM