none
Backup .wim not being created

Question

• I have been making backups via MDT 2008, recently we created our image in 2010, so I have been attempting to update our deployment shares.  Everything works except the backup.

I have tried using OSDComputerName=%ComputerName% in a very non-scientific manner, but it basically killed the deployment share.   This is an LTI deployment, 2k-> XP and XP-> XP, USMT 3.0. 

I have tried adding BackupFile=%ComputerName%.wim and BackupDrive=C:, and no difference.  The really strange thing is that I get no error message. 

-----MyINI------

ComputerBackup=YES
    ComputerBackuplocation=AUTO
    BackupShare=\\wtpstorage01\usmt\MigData
    BackupDir=%ComputerName%

--------END INI----------------

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• make sure the task sequence ....

Preinstall/Refresh only/backup --- options tab is not set to "disable this step" !

- Brian

• Marked as answer by bkruiser Monday, May 03, 2010 10:43 PM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 10:42 PM

All replies

• This is what was recommended to nme on this forum and was worked without any problem.

[Default]
    ComputerBackupLocation=NETWORK
    BackupShare=\\{MDTServer}\DeploymentShare$\Captures
    BackupDir=%OSDComputername%

Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Are you using LTI or ZTI?  It seemed to me that OSDComputerName was a ZTI property.

Property configured by

Property applies to

BootStrap.ini

LTI

CustomSettings.ini

˜

Deployment Database

˜

ZTI for ConfigMgr

˜

Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Before I used this approach I could only get the first captured system to save to the deployemnt share. If I wanted to capture another system I had to delete the previous wim from the Captures folder I even had to delete the first capture that I imported before the above would work.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:28 PM
  • I see, we are really only using this as a backup mechanism for the machines we are imaging.  I have done thousands of these backups on 2008, but I missed something on the 2010 config.  I appreciate your look at this. 
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:17 PM
  • I am using MDT 2010 and MS-SQL Server 2008 Express for the MDT database for LTI deployments.

The "OSDComputerName" property can be configured in the MDT database for assignment to a PC based on MAC, Serial, UUID or Asset Tag.

There is also a db property for "ComputerName" but the MDT documentation says this does not work and to use the "OSDComputerName" property.

Friday, April 23, 2010 1:32 PM
  • They're daisy chained in some manner, if you set one before the other it gets an override, there was a post on it from Mike or Tim Mintner a month or so ago, i can't remember the order, i want to say OSDComputerName wins out over ComputerName which wins out over ??? (i forget the third, not enough redbull this morning!)

Say you set OSDComputerName = XYZ

and Computername = ZYX

The computername will be XYZ

-D

-Dustin
    Friday, April 23, 2010 1:43 PM
  • I am not actually using OSDComputerName because it is an LTI deployment (albeit unattended, and remotely executed, etc).  I am not using the MDT database. 

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    ScanStateArgs=/v:5 /o /c /uel:60
    LoadStateArgs=/v:5 /c /lac

DRIVERPATHS1=\\junks0358\Models$\%Model%
    StorageDriverSysPrepGroup=MassStorageDrivers

DeployRoot=\\junks0358\unattended$

SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    XResolution=1280
    YResolution=1024
    SkipUserData=yes
    UserDataLocation=AUTO
    UDShare=\\junkstorage01\usmt\MigData
    UDDir=%ComputerName%
    USMTMigFiles1=MigUser.xml
    USMTMigFiles2=MigSys.xml
    USMTMigFiles3=MigApp.xml
    USMTMigFiles4=junk_dmig.xml
    USMT3=YES

JoinDomain=Domain
    DomainAdmin=s-junk-image
    DomainAdminPassword=goodluckguessing
    DomainAdminDomain=Domain

UserID=s-junk-image
    UserDomain=Domain
    UserPassword=!W1Ll&iv3U@N3wIm@ge

SkipComputerBackup=YES
    ComputerBackuplocation=AUTO
    BackupShare=\\junkstorage01\usmt\MigData
    BackupDir=%ComputerName%
    BackupFile=%ComputerName%.wim
    BackupDrive=C:

SkipDeploymentType=Yes
    DeploymentType=REFRESH

SkipApplications=Yes

SkipComputerName=Yes
    ComputerName=%ComputerName%

SkipTaskSequence=Yes
    TaskSequenceID=BWX_REV4

Administrators1=Domain\junk-WS-Admins

Friday, April 23, 2010 1:51 PM
  • In my K-12 school we use folder redirection and all staff, teachers and students have a home folder on a server. For anyone using a laptop that is used somewhere other than at school folder synchronization is also applied so they have a copy of their files when not at school.

This means that there is no data on a PC that is user specific. Anything on the desktop is not sunchronized and the users are told not to store any files directly on the desktop.

There is no user data that is only stored on a specific PC, so if there is a problem with a PC it just gets reimaged and there is no need to be concerned with what is not supposed to be on it.

I use a "Sysprep and Capture" only to capture an OS that has apps and a customized user profile so that deployment time can be shortened.

Friday, April 23, 2010 1:55 PM
  •  

The backup %compuername%.wim is not being created.

I have stopped the deployment after the OS Install to verify that no backup exists...

I have looked at all log files for backup and error, and found no issues...

I have verified that Imagex is in the tools folder...

I have changed the customsettings.ini file numerous ways.  These settings worked under MDT 2008.

SkipComputerBackup=YES
    ComputerBackupLocation=AUTO                            (I have specified NETWORK also)
    BackupShare=\\xstorage01\usmt\MigData           (I have been and continue to use this share for MDT 2008)
    BackupDir=%ComputerName%                             (have tried with and without specifying this)
    BackupFile=%ComputerName%.wim                      (have tried with and without specifying this)

This is an LTI process.  I tried changing to OSDComputerName with evil results.

Monday, May 03, 2010 6:54 PM
  • make sure the task sequence ....

Preinstall/Refresh only/backup --- options tab is not set to "disable this step" !

- Brian

• Marked as answer by bkruiser Monday, May 03, 2010 10:43 PM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 10:42 PM
  • This is what was recommended to nme on this forum and was worked without any problem.

[Default]
    ComputerBackupLocation=NETWORK
    BackupShare=\\{MDTServer}\DeploymentShare$\Captures
    BackupDir=%OSDComputername%

Greetings, a question: how do I save the backup on an external hard drive or USB. I appreciate if I can help.
    Monday, June 25, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Still use the BackupShare variable and use a drive letter instead of a UNC. You'll need to come up with some method of determining the driver letter to use though.

You'll want to run a script to identify some unique way of identifying the drive letter of the external device, probably using WMI.

There are any number of ways of doing this. If its the same drive each time then you could use the PNP ID, if it may be different drives each time then you could make sure it's named the same each time, for example "ExternalHDD". From whatever your unique identifier is, calculate the drive letter used and save it to an MDT variable. Then set your CS.ini to BackupShare=\\%MyDrive%\Captures

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:24 PM