none
Exchange 2010 SP1 Hosting Mode Upgraded to SP2 But Adddress Book Policies Not There After Upgrade

Question

• I recently upgraded my Exchange 2010 SP1 Hosted Mode installation with Exchange 2010 SP2 (running on Windows Server 2008R2 SP1 with 21 Gigs of Memory and 200 Gigs of HDD space mostly free.  3 Exchange server roles are installed on this box --- CAS, Hub and MB).  No error messages occurred during the upgrade from SP1 to SP2, all processes completed successfully.  Everything looked fine after the upgrade however when i went to the Exchange Command Shell and tried to add a "New-AddressBookPolicy" I got the error message-------"The term 'New-AddressBookPolicy' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file or operable program.  Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify tha the path is correct and try again.  +new-addressbookpolicy <<<<< +Category Info      : ObjectNotFound ....."

When i did a search through the Exchange cmdlets (searching on new*) I got a list of all the cmdlets in Exchange server starting with the word "New" and sure enough there was no "New-AddressBookPolicy" command listed.  I also searched for the "New-AddressBookPolicy" object in Active Directory and couldn't find it.

Question:  Can anybody tell me how to fix this problem?      Thanks in advance for any help you can give.                   

Monday, January 09, 2012 9:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Ed_G100,

How did you upgrade Exchange 2010 SP1 hosted Mode to Exchange 2010 SP2? I guess you are still running in Exchange SP2 hosted mode as migrating from Exchange 2010 /hosting mode to the on-premises configuration of Exchange (2010 or future versions) will require deployment into a separate forest.

If yes, I think the ABP is not added to the Exchange 2010 SP2 hosted mode.

/hosting mode will be supported through the standard support lifecycle for Exchange 2010. It will still be available in SP2 and any future service packs or roll-ups. No additional functionality or features will be added to /hosting mode, however, and we don’t recommend using /hosting mode going forward due to its reduced feature set and the fact that it will add complexity to future upgrades.

For more information, please see:

Future of /Hosting Mode

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/10/13/future-of-hosting-mode.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:04 AM
  • New-AddressBookPolicy is not available in /Hosting mode. It is a feature only for non /Hosting mode deployments.
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Monday, January 16, 2012 1:52 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Ed_G100,

How did you upgrade Exchange 2010 SP1 hosted Mode to Exchange 2010 SP2? I guess you are still running in Exchange SP2 hosted mode as migrating from Exchange 2010 /hosting mode to the on-premises configuration of Exchange (2010 or future versions) will require deployment into a separate forest.

If yes, I think the ABP is not added to the Exchange 2010 SP2 hosted mode.

/hosting mode will be supported through the standard support lifecycle for Exchange 2010. It will still be available in SP2 and any future service packs or roll-ups. No additional functionality or features will be added to /hosting mode, however, and we don’t recommend using /hosting mode going forward due to its reduced feature set and the fact that it will add complexity to future upgrades.

For more information, please see:

Future of /Hosting Mode

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/10/13/future-of-hosting-mode.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Hi Ed_G100,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:17 AM
  • New-AddressBookPolicy is not available in /Hosting mode. It is a feature only for non /Hosting mode deployments.
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Monday, January 16, 2012 1:52 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Ed_G100, what's the command you ran?

I'm having problems getting the SP2 update to start. We do have the roles separated out (CAS server, HUB server, MB server).

Thx!

• Proposed as answer by Natural Adadas Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Natural Adadas Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:28 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 11:51 PM