none
Outlook 2013 high CPU usage

Question

• Outlook 2013 periodically has high CPU usage and really slows down everything.  Fortunately, restarting it brings everything to normal, so this issue is not a big deal but only a minor nuisance.

It would be nice to completely prevent it.  Any tip is greatly appreciated.

As shown in the screen capture, all add-ins have been disabled

Hong

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• That can be Antivirus or Indexing process

You can take look on Task Manager

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Task Manager shows OL uses 25 - 30% of CPU on an Intel quad-core machine.  I have disabled Windows 8 indexing due to another issue.  Restarting OL restores normality. I have not disabled anti-virus yet, but I will try it next time when this occurs.

Hong

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:57 PM
  • I disabled antivirus when this happened again, but it did not make any difference.

Restarting OL is still the only remedy that I know, but it is not a big deal.  The nuisance is that the high CPU usage is not felt until it really slows down everything.

Hong

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Then try to start Windows in clean boot to check whether the issue is caused by some third party services.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 13, 2013 2:46 AM
  • The problem is that it does not happen immediately after starting Windows. It may not happen for an entire day.  What I can do next time is trying to shut down other programs and services one by one when that happens again. 

Hong

Monday, May 13, 2013 2:56 AM
  • I've had the same issue.  Outlook 2013 choking the processor and hanging for 2-5 seconds at a time.  Most often this has been when replying to an email (new emails creation, not so much).  So far, the best performance has been when I have the RIBBON set to SHOW TABS ONLY, hiding the rest of the COMMAND RIBBON structure.  Try this out and see if it helps..
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:59 PM
  • Thanks, David.

Actually, I have not had this problem for a while.  I am wondering if one of the Office updates has taken care of it.  I will try your method should it happen again.

Hong

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:04 PM
  • I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy.   A seemingly random amount of time after starting my laptop, Outlook uses 13% plus CPU continuously regardless of whether I'm using it or it is minimised.

On my HP Envy 8 core i7 laptop, this causes the fan to run up at high speed all day.  The only way to stop it is to close Outlook.  The problem doesn't return as soon as Irestart Outlook but it always comes back after a while. 

Thursday, September 05, 2013 1:27 AM
  • I have the same issue as Turhan.  I have Outlook 365 home premium (2013) on Windows 8.1, new HP Envy quad core i7 (4th gen).

I have had to resort to accessing my email via a web browser.  Outlook CONSTANTLY lags, sometimes even 30+ seconds - 1 minute or more.  I have to use task manager to close it.  Then it will lag in the background processes and I have to go into task manager again to fully close it.

I've performed quick repair, full repair, spent 3+ hours with MS tech support, disable anti-virus & firewall, reduced the size of my data file by 1/2, and more.  I've got the latest windows, Office, and other software updates.  NOTHING IS WORKING!

The rest of my computer is working flawlessly, no issues.  Even when Outlook is having issues, I can use the rest of my computer w/o any problems.

any suggestions?

Monday, March 03, 2014 4:31 PM