none
MDT does not install all drivers

Question

• Using MDT 2010 with Windows 7 SP1 update applied on a 2003 R2 SP2 Standard edition host when performing a deployment of Windows 7 SP1 32bit not all drivers are installed.

In MDT under the out of box drivers section I have created several folders for the different model laptops (Latitude D630, 13, E5400, E5410 and E6220) and desktops (Optiplex 745, 755 and 960) that I will be deploying to, downloaded the WinPE and driver deployment CAB files for each model from the dell website and placed them into the corresponding folders.

In the Operating System task sequence under the inject drivers section I chose the inject all drivers option (I am trying to make a SOE image that we can deploy to all machines without changing anything using the same image so all drivers need to be included) and regenerated the deployment share boot image.

Installation goes fine (using the generated ISO file loaded onto a bootable usb stick) on my test machine (a Latitude 13) but the graphics and wireless drivers (and I think a chipset driver) are not installed correctly (yellow exclamation marks in device manager and the wireless is not working the graphics display looks poor).  I have gone to the dell website and downloaded the stand alone installer and used that to install the missing drivers and confirmed that the dell deployment cab does contain the very same driver and that MDT also has the correct driver load into it.

Is there something I have missed that is stopping MDT from installing the required drivers?  I have looked at the ztidriver.log file and searched for the .inf files for the graphics and wireless cards and can see that it find and copies them across so it looks like it should be working but for some reason it doesn't seem to install them correctly.

Thanks

Monday, November 28, 2011 5:21 AM

All replies

• There are three steps in the driver injection process, each one needs to be verified:

1. Were the needed drivers copied locally by ZTIDrivers.wsf?
    2. Did SETUP inject the drivers into the driver store?
    3. Did PNP install the drivers from the driver store?

Log files to review are ZTIDrivers.log, setupact.log, cbs.log and setupapi.dev.log

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Hi Johan, I am unable to find the setupact.log, cbs.log and setupapi.dev.log after the deployment has finished but I have uploaded a copy of the ZTIDrivers.log to my skydrive.

Thanks

• Edited by BWMerlin Monday, December 05, 2011 12:49 AM use html editor works best.
    Monday, December 05, 2011 12:45 AM
  • I have managed to find the cbs.log and have uploaded that as well.
    Monday, December 05, 2011 11:57 PM
  • And I have managed to find the setupapi.dev.log now.
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 3:08 AM
  • The links are broken (except the first one), please upload them to your skydrive as well. For what devices (pnpid) did you have en exclamation mark on in device manager?  Please provide the full pnpid.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

Friday, December 09, 2011 11:52 AM
  • All three files are already on sky drive and linked previously but I have linked them again for you.

CBS.log https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=6e2adb8362328b8f&resid=6E2ADB8362328B8F!190&parid=6E2ADB8362328B8F!164&authkey=!ANiKLl7C1QEIw8M

setupapi.dev.log https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=6e2adb8362328b8f&resid=6E2ADB8362328B8F!191&parid=6E2ADB8362328B8F!164&authkey=!AHVgIZeD180TdwY

ZTIDrivers.log https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=6e2adb8362328b8f&resid=6E2ADB8362328B8F!189&parid=6E2ADB8362328B8F!164&authkey=!AA6fXUmExg7o4a4

I can't supply the pnpid for the missing drivers as I am not at work right now but will once I get back.

Thanks

Friday, December 09, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Here are the pnpid's for the devices that are having issues (the graphics card drivers, wireless and sound).

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=6e2adb8362328b8f&resid=6E2ADB8362328B8F!192&parid=6E2ADB8362328B8F!164&authkey=!ABLpaFf96_NCEpc

Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:25 PM
  • From the logs MDT indeed copies the drivers locally, stages them successfully, byt the setup fails to install them. Probably due to incorrect versions (I can see you have a mix of Vista and Windows 7 drivers in your repository).

For troubleshooting this specific model, I would recommend the following method:

1. Create a folder in your Out-Of-Box drivers, name it "Latitude 13" and only import the latest video, wifi, audio and chipset drivers for Windows 7 to that folder
    2. In your customsettings.ini, in the [Default] section, set DriverGroup001=Latitude 13
    3. In your task sequence, on the "Inject Drivers" action, select the "Nothing" selection profile, and select the "Install all drivers from the selection profile" option.

The above configuration will force MDT to only add the drivers you added to the Latitude 13 folder, and skip the pnpid detection. This will help you narrow down the driver problems.

In general I don't recommend using the "Total Chaos" method of driver injection you are using now, since it's difficult to manage and be in control of. I recommend a more controlled way of dealing with drivers. Please see the "Total Control" method in these posts:

Part 12 - MDT 2010 Lite Touch Driver Management (Video)
    http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Videos/MDT2010LiteTouchUnleashedVideos.aspx

MDT 2010 Lite Touch Driver Management (Article)
    http://www.deployvista.com/Default.aspx?tabid=78&EntryID=132

/ Johan

Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:57 PM
  • I would recommend the following method:

1. Create a folder in your Out-Of-Box drivers, name it "Latitude 13" and only import the latest video, wifi, audio and chipset drivers for Windows 7 to that folder
    2. In your customsettings.ini, in the [Default] section, set DriverGroup001=Latitude 13
    3. In your task sequence, on the "Inject Drivers" action, select the "Nothing" selection profile, and select the "Install all drivers from the selection profile" option.

The above configuration will force MDT to only add the drivers you added to the Latitude 13 folder, and skip the pnpid detection. This will help you narrow down the driver problems.

After many months break I have decieded that it is once agian time to have a crack at solving this problem (I need to have this working and it is driving me crazy having what should be a massive time saver not work correctly).  I have done the above however now the installation is stuck at the "Completing installtion" step and has been sitting there for an number of hours.  I restart the machine it tries to load Windows and complains about setup not having completed and then just keeps looping back to the same error message.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Few Questions:-

Is this a custom image you are trying to deploy? If yes, how did you do the capture?

Your first post mentioned that you see the yellow exclamation mark which means that atleast the OS installed fine and you were struggling with drivers. What changed that now the installation itself does not complete?

Does it hang on every machine/model or only Latitude 13?

regards, Vik Singh

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Few Questions:-

Is this a custom image you are trying to deploy? If yes, how did you do the capture?

Your first post mentioned that you see the yellow exclamation mark which means that atleast the OS installed fine and you were struggling with drivers. What changed that now the installation itself does not complete?

Does it hang on every machine/model or only Latitude 13?

regards, Vik Singh

Hi, this is not a custom image, I downloaded the Windows 7 Enterprise trail from the Microsoft website, mounted the ISO file (would be nice if MDT could open ISO files not just WIM files) and then sucked that into MDT.

I have removed ALL drivers (I used the force option to remove them even if they were somewhere else in MDT) and loaded them back in, each computer model has its drivers in a separate folder in MDT.  I have set the WINPE profile so that it loads all drivers in my WINPE folder which is contains only the WINPE drivers from the Dell website (Dell-WinPE-Drivers-A07.CAB) as well as the latest version (10.​8.​0.​1003) of Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers (I also had to add the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers to the Latitude V13 profile (contains the drivers from 13-win7-A05-Y4W5X.CAB) as I would get an error message about iastor.sys being missing or corrupt).

The laptop as now succesfully been re-imaged however I am back to my original problem of some drivers not installing correctly.  At this point in time the following drivers have not installed correctly (all have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark) and report the same error message "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39):

Display adapters:

Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Mice and other pointing devices:

Dell Touchpad

Network adapters:

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Thanks

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Well, you are most likely simply missing drivers for those devices in your deployment share, or that you have a filter (selection profile, drivergroup etc) that is preventing them from being installed.

/ Johan

Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Well, you are most likely simply missing drivers for those devices in your deployment share, or that you have a filter (selection profile, drivergroup etc) that is preventing them from being installed.

/ Johan

Nope all drivers are there and I have compared the driver version in the CAB files against the stand alone drivers from Dell and they match up (in so much as that I have read the CAB files read-me file which list what version of driver it contains against the read-me file for the stand alone drivers, I haven’t tried important the stand alone drivers into MDT to compare the version numbers that way).  I have managed to get the display adapters and wireless drivers to install correctly now by going to the Intel website and downloading the latest version of the drivers from there and moving the dell provided drivers to a different folder outside the profile selection.

My last two driver related issues are the Bluetooth driver not being installed at all and the touchpad driver.  I have tried getting the latest version of the touchpad driver from Synaptics (15.2.20) and trying to import that into MDT but get a lot of errors which I have saved to a text file and uploaded to my skydrive.  The Bluetooth chip is made by Broadcom but Broadcom do not provide a driver download section instead you need to use a utility to check for the latest driver versions.  For whatever reason this utility doesn’t work only saying to check the OEM’s website for drivers.

As the touchpad is a really critical driver I really need that sorted while for the Bluetooth I am think that creating a package install task sequence might be the best option (I could probably use this same process for the touchpad but in both cases I don’t know if the installers support silent installs).

Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Do the following:

1. Check the ZTIDrivers.log if the driver was detected via your MDT settings (PNP or Drivergroups) and copied to C:\Drivers

2. Check DISM.log and setupact.log to see it the driver was staged into the Windows 7 driver store

3. Check Setupapi.dev.log to see if the driver was installed by setup

Some driver requires to be installed as an application, but I have not yet seen any TouchPad devices requiring that (yet).

What I have seen are organizations building their ref-image using a physical machine with a similar, but not the exact same Touchpad hardware. And leftover junk from the original installation prevent the new driver from being installed correctly. When building reference images from virtual machines (which you should), you don't see issues like that.

/ Johan

Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Do the following:

1. Check the ZTIDrivers.log if the driver was detected via your MDT settings (PNP or Drivergroups) and copied to C:\Drivers

2. Check DISM.log and setupact.log to see it the driver was staged into the Windows 7 driver store

Done, as far as I can see the driver (for the touchpad at least haven't checked the bluetooth driver) is detect, copied and installed.  Here are the logs ZTIDrivers.logsetupapi.dev.logsetupact.log

What I have seen are organizations building their ref-image using a physical machine with a similar, but not the exact same Touchpad hardware. And leftover junk from the original installation prevent the new driver from being installed correctly. When building reference images from virtual machines (which you should), you don't see issues like that.

While that is a good idea if at the end of the day the mastered image cannot be deployed down to the physical machines and have all the driver detected and installed correctly then there is no point of mastering it in a virtual machine. At the moment I am testing to see if MDT can be used to master our images and a big part of that is the drivers, once I am confident that what I am doing is correct and I can expect MDT to detect and install drivers across the different hardware models then I can see about making the master in a virtual machine so it is "clean.
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:40 AM
  • From the logs there are two different touchpad drivers being installed

version 15.2.20
    c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\synpd.inf_x86_neutral_e699a205f828c22f\synpd.inf

and version 14.0.19
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\synpd.inf_x86_neutral_83e3e06102889c82\synpd.inf

Both are not inbox drivers, but its only 14.0.19 that is copied from MDT... where does version 15.2.20 come from? 

Then, as you probably know, some hardware requires an application to be installed as well to be fully functional. And some drivers have a pseudo driver that can only be installed when the real driver is installed. You can try installing a clean image, install the vendor (Dell) Touchpad application, and then go to the driver repository (C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository), sort folders by date, and see what new folders that were created.  For drivers that don't require an app or special setup you can copy the working driver from the repository into MDT.

/ Johan

• Marked as answer by BWMerlin Friday, April 13, 2012 2:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BWMerlin Friday, April 13, 2012 2:36 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:17 AM
  • For Dell systems I find it best to use the CABs from ImageDirect or the Dell TechCentre

https://imagedirect.dell.com/imagedirect/logon.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment.aspx

On the 745, no Win7 drivers are available from Dell so the OS will drop in the best fit ones. Known issue for the driver used for the Intel video driver on Win7;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743

We've seen this cause spontaneous reboots so be careful with it.

S

Monday, April 02, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Version 15.2.20 came from after deployment when I installed the latest synaptic drivers by hand (from the synaptic website) so I could use the touchpad to retrieve log files etc (very hard using keyboard only).  I have tried extracting these drivers and importing them into MDT but they throw and error message (seem my earlier post about this).

I tried the installing drivers and then copying the driverstore folder it created and importing it into MDT and while that does allow me to import the latest touchpad driver it still didn't work.  I did stumble upon something though and that is that if I remove the synaptics drivers from MDT (well just move them to a folder outside the profile selection) and let Microsoft handle the driver it works.  I get a functioning mouse (I don't get an of the other features that come with the synaptics touchpad driver such as gestures and possibly the options to disable when a external mouse is used but that is not a real concern compared to having a touchpad that is actually usable).

I tired the same trick with the bluetooth driver (moving the drivers to a folder outside the profile selection) but no luck with that.  I also am unable to locate the folder it creates in driverstore (maybe it doesn't create one) so I can not try copying those drivers into MDT and seeing if that works (why that would work when the exact same drivers are already present in MDT I don't know).

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:36 AM
  • During the course of few months why won't you just build vanilla fresh reference physical machine (exact the same model as you struggling with)?

Do not change anything in original in-box Windows 7 drivers set, go to devmgmt.msc and manually install/update vendor drivers and check what works for you.

This way you can make sure which drivers you are happy with, how their instalation processes behave etc, which will not install (for any reason), etc.

Having done that you will get set of drivers that you can then import to MDT.

Obviously then this can still be combined with "ref. comp. as virtual machine" approach - to build ref. image with apps, updates, etc.

It seems what you are doing is sometimes refered as "remote hardware certification" process. Meaning you cannot use the machine in subject for testing. If that is the case - that can be time and work consuming - good luck!

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:45 AM
  • The problem is all the driver do work when installed by hand using the Dell stand alone installer exe's.  On the Dell website you can download a deployment CAB file containing all the drivers as well as the stand alone drivers ready to be imported into SCCM, MDT or WDS.  The CAB file contains exactly the same drivers that are in the stand alone downloads so there is no reason that they shouldn't be installed when all the other driver files from the CAB (I have my profile selection set up to only get drivers for my Latitude V13 which is just a straight import of the CAB file [I did later have to go to the Intel site and get newer graphics and storage controller drivers but that is it]) get installed correctly.

At the moment I see that there are two possible causes, one the drivers supplied are some how faulty at being picked up during deployment (all the log files suggest they are being installed correctly) or two MDT is faulty (why with only these two drivers I don't know).

If I understand you suggestion it is basically install Windows, update all drivers, capture, deploy to virtual machine, install programmes and updates, capture and then deploy en-mass.  Is that correct?

Friday, April 13, 2012 10:05 AM
  • The problem is all the driver do work when installed by hand using the Dell stand alone installer exe's. 

This is not exactly what I meant. I would consider installing exe (in the Task Sequence) as last resort solution ("bad drivers" approach)

Try to extract and import to MDT - from exe/zip/whatever only those files you really need to install a device - only: *.inf, *.cat, *.sys, *.dll (sometimes other)

I believe this is what you do with CAB files from Dell.

The CAB file contains exactly the same drivers that are in the stand alone downloads so there is no reason that they shouldn't be installed when all the other driver files from the CAB.

They should - have you checked that for sure?  I would not assume anything though :)

...drivers supplied are some how faulty at being picked up during deployment (all the log files suggest they are being installed correctly)...

Ok but you said they do install fine manually.

...or two MDT is faulty...

Check the version, reinstall, check WAIK ver, etc. - although I would not blame MDT at first place.

From my most strange experiences with MDT vs drivers - check if in your wim image you have <drive:\>Drivers folder.

If yes try to remove it from wim and re-deploy the whole thing.

• Edited by ArtSaw Friday, April 13, 2012 12:38 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 12:36 PM
  • [quote]

Try to extract and import to MDT - from exe/zip/whatever only those files you really need to install a device - only: *.inf, *.cat, *.sys, *.dll (sometimes other)

I believe this is what you do with CAB files from Dell.[/quote]

I have completely nuked MDT 2010 SP1, WAIK and the deployment share installed MDT 2012, WAIK 6.1.7600.16385 and created a new deployment share. I have imported the Dell WinPE drivers and setup a profile selection to only use those WinPE drivers for the WinPE boot.wim (both x86 and 64) and then imported a select few drivers (bluetooth, storage controller, wireless, graphics accelerometer/free fall sensor) then in my customsettings.ini, in the [Default] section, set DriverGroup001=Latitude 13 and then in task sequence, on the "Inject Drivers" action, selected the "Nothing" selection profile, and select the "Install all drivers from the selection profile" option per Johan Arwidmark.

[quote]

The CAB file contains exactly the same drivers that are in the stand alone downloads so there is no reason that they shouldn't be installed when all the other driver files from the CAB.

They should - have you checked that for sure? I would not assume anything though :)[/quote]

Interesting you say that, when I import the Dell driver CAB for the Latitude 13 there are some import errors about the architecture not being correct (Warning: Driver <driver name, driver file and version> does not appear to support platform <platform type> as indicated. Overriding the indicated platform.) but importing the same driver from an extracted executable does not give these errors (I did take note that nearly all the drivers that had this error I have had issues with with them not installing correctly when using the CAB file drivers compared to using the executable extracted drivers).

[quote]

From my most strange experiences with MDT vs drivers - check if in your wim image you have<drive:\>Drivers folder.

If yes try to remove it from wim and re-deploy the whole thing.[/quote]

I checked the install.wim file (<drive:\>DeploymentShare\Operating Systems\Windows 7 SP1 x86\sources\install.wim) using DISM and there was no <drive:\>drivers folder.

At this point in time bluetooth is still not being installed and it looks like the accelerometer/free fall sensor didn't install either.  I really thought MDT was supposed to be more or less point and click but this seems a ridiculous amount of work to go through. Would I be correct to say that this problem is most likely Dell not supplying quality drivers to be used in MDT?

Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:47 AM
  • Strictly speaking MDT does not install any drivers. MDT only provides the routine to filter out what drivers that are copied to the machine you are deploying, and then instructs Windows Setup to stage them and then install them. If the correct drivers are copied locally but still not installed correctly, you can't really blame MDT.

From a previous post in this thread:

1. Check the ZTIDrivers.log if the driver was detected via your MDT settings (PNP or Drivergroups) and copied to C:\Drivers

/ Johan

Friday, May 04, 2012 12:11 PM
  • 1. Check the ZTIDrivers.log if the driver was detected via your MDT settings (PNP or Drivergroups) and copied to C:\Drivers

Checking my latest ZTIDrivers.log I find these entries

Line 21: <![LOG[Skipping Device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&REV_0100&Col01 No 3rd party drivers found. 5]LOG]!><time="15:42:06.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 31: <![LOG[Skipping Device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&REV_0100&Col02 No 3rd party drivers found. 5]LOG]!><time="15:42:06.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 60: <![LOG[	Found Device USB\VID_413C&PID_8161 with 3rd party drivers! Count = 3  = {063ae274-440d-4137-9917-b3f6248572fa}	{39905ad7-473b-4bcd-876b-18517ba699aa}	{566f649b-4847-4f06-8e1a-a7fe3a78f743}	{67da324e-313f-4ec3-a131-7356a0f4cf5d}]LOG]!><time="15:42:06.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 61: <![LOG[Found a driver for USB\VID_413C&PID_8161: {063ae274-440d-4137-9917-b3f6248572fa} from \\SCORVAULT\DeploymentShare$\Out-of-box Drivers\HIDClass\bcbthid32_6.2.0.9800_EA07365566C1B6552CB0D2660117501C9FE17D3A\bcbthid32.inf]LOG]!><time="15:42:06.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 68: <![LOG[Found a driver for USB\VID_413C&PID_8161: {39905ad7-473b-4bcd-876b-18517ba699aa} from \\SCORVAULT\DeploymentShare$\Out-of-box Drivers\HIDClass\bcbthid32_6.2.0.9800_22FEC4C64C44C0E373C51AAB8F2BC9B30972E205\bcbthid32.inf]LOG]!><time="15:42:07.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 75: <![LOG[Found a driver for USB\VID_413C&PID_8161: {566f649b-4847-4f06-8e1a-a7fe3a78f743} from \\SCORVAULT\DeploymentShare$\Out-of-box Drivers\HIDClass\bcbthid64_6.2.0.9800_A63714A2130E2BA3F755A82C70677685A2701EAF\bcbthid64.inf]LOG]!><time="15:42:08.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 77: <![LOG[Found a driver for USB\VID_413C&PID_8161: {67da324e-313f-4ec3-a131-7356a0f4cf5d} from \\SCORVAULT\DeploymentShare$\Out-of-box Drivers\HIDClass\bcbthid64_6.2.0.9800_21CAB1C2B5D9628633CD562880B4729ABBA3C2E1\bcbthid64.inf]LOG]!><time="15:42:08.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 84: <![LOG[	Found Device USB\VID_413C&PID_8162 with 3rd party drivers! Count = 3  = {063ae274-440d-4137-9917-b3f6248572fa}	{39905ad7-473b-4bcd-876b-18517ba699aa}	{566f649b-4847-4f06-8e1a-a7fe3a78f743}	{67da324e-313f-4ec3-a131-7356a0f4cf5d}]LOG]!><time="15:42:08.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 85: <![LOG[Found a driver for USB\VID_413C&PID_8162: {063ae274-440d-4137-9917-b3f6248572fa} from \\SCORVAULT\DeploymentShare$\Out-of-box Drivers\HIDClass\bcbthid32_6.2.0.9800_EA07365566C1B6552CB0D2660117501C9FE17D3A\bcbthid32.inf]LOG]!><time="15:42:08.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 92: <![LOG[Found a driver for USB\VID_413C&PID_8162: {39905ad7-473b-4bcd-876b-18517ba699aa} from \\SCORVAULT\DeploymentShare$\Out-of-box Drivers\HIDClass\bcbthid32_6.2.0.9800_22FEC4C64C44C0E373C51AAB8F2BC9B30972E205\bcbthid32.inf]LOG]!><time="15:42:09.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 99: <![LOG[Found a driver for USB\VID_413C&PID_8162: {566f649b-4847-4f06-8e1a-a7fe3a78f743} from \\SCORVAULT\DeploymentShare$\Out-of-box Drivers\HIDClass\bcbthid64_6.2.0.9800_A63714A2130E2BA3F755A82C70677685A2701EAF\bcbthid64.inf]LOG]!><time="15:42:10.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 101: <![LOG[Found a driver for USB\VID_413C&PID_8162: {67da324e-313f-4ec3-a131-7356a0f4cf5d} from \\SCORVAULT\DeploymentShare$\Out-of-box Drivers\HIDClass\bcbthid64_6.2.0.9800_21CAB1C2B5D9628633CD562880B4729ABBA3C2E1\bcbthid64.inf]LOG]!><time="15:42:10.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">
    	Line 165: <![LOG[Skipping Device HID\VID_413C&PID_8161&REV_0100 No 3rd party drivers found. 5]LOG]!><time="15:42:27.000+000" date="05-09-2012" component="ZTIDrivers" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDrivers">

As best I can tell my bluetooth modules hardware ID (which I believe is the same thing as a PNP ID) is USB\VID_413C&PID_8160&REV_0173 and USB\VID_413C&PID_8160 so to me the ZTIDrivers.log file says the driver isn't found and then turns around and says it is found.  The bluetooth driver I imported into MDT comes from the exactly the same exe I used to install the driver software so I could find out the PNP ID.

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:19 AM
  • It's not uncommon that Bluetooth drivers comes with a two-tier driver, where you have a bus driver that needs to be installed first, before the other driver. The same goes with some of the mobile broadband drivers. You can find both drivers in the file repository (c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository) after installing the vendors .msi/.exe setup file. The find the drivers, sort the filerepository subfolders by date.

Then, some drivers simply requires that you run the driver setup application to work correctly. The app will of course reinstall the driver, but that doesn't normally cause any issues. Add the driver app as an application in MDT, and set a condition to only install on the models that needs it.

/ Johan

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:57 AM
  • It's not uncommon that Bluetooth drivers comes with a two-tier driver, where you have a bus driver that needs to be installed first, before the other driver. The same goes with some of the mobile broadband drivers. You can find both drivers in the file repository (c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository) after installing the vendors .msi/.exe setup file. The find the drivers, sort the filerepository subfolders by date.

Then, some drivers simply requires that you run the driver setup application to work correctly. The app will of course reinstall the driver, but that doesn't normally cause any issues. Add the driver app as an application in MDT, and set a condition to only install on the models that needs it.

/ Johan

That doesn't make sense when I know that my manager has used DISM to inject the same CAB driver pack into a WIM file and deploy it using WDS.

Here is what I think is the bluetooth drivers being staged to the driver store from my setupact.log

Line 1695: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: {Retrieving drivers used by device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL01\7&77BB029&0&0000}
    	Line 1696: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: The device setup class for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL01\7&77BB029&0&0000 is 4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318.
    	Line 1697: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: mouhid is the function driver for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL01\7&77BB029&0&0000
    	Line 1698: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device upper filter drivers are specified for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL01\7&77BB029&0&0000
    	Line 1699: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device lower filter drivers are specified for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL01\7&77BB029&0&0000
    	Line 1700: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: mouclass is a class upper filter driver for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL01\7&77BB029&0&0000
    	Line 1701: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No class lower filter drivers are specified for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL01\7&77BB029&0&0000
    	Line 1785: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: {Retrieving drivers used by device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL02\7&77BB029&0&0001}
    	Line 1786: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device setup class has been specified for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL02\7&77BB029&0&0001. We will not attempt to retrieve the device's class filter drivers.
    	Line 1787: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No function driver specified for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL02\7&77BB029&0&0001.
    	Line 1788: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device upper filter drivers are specified for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL02\7&77BB029&0&0001
    	Line 1789: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device lower filter drivers are specified for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8162&COL02\7&77BB029&0&0001
    	Line 2325: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: {Retrieving drivers used by device USB\VID_413C&PID_8161\6&1C71FF78&0&1}
    	Line 2326: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: The device setup class for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8161\6&1C71FF78&0&1 is 745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da.
    	Line 2327: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: HidUsb is the function driver for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8161\6&1C71FF78&0&1
    	Line 2328: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device upper filter drivers are specified for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8161\6&1C71FF78&0&1
    	Line 2329: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device lower filter drivers are specified for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8161\6&1C71FF78&0&1
    	Line 2330: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No class upper filter drivers are specified for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8161\6&1C71FF78&0&1
    	Line 2331: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No class lower filter drivers are specified for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8161\6&1C71FF78&0&1
    	Line 2398: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: {Retrieving drivers used by device USB\VID_413C&PID_8162\6&1C71FF78&0&2}
    	Line 2399: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: The device setup class for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8162\6&1C71FF78&0&2 is 745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da.
    	Line 2400: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: HidUsb is the function driver for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8162\6&1C71FF78&0&2
    	Line 2401: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device upper filter drivers are specified for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8162\6&1C71FF78&0&2
    	Line 2402: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device lower filter drivers are specified for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8162\6&1C71FF78&0&2
    	Line 2403: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No class upper filter drivers are specified for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8162\6&1C71FF78&0&2
    	Line 2404: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No class lower filter drivers are specified for device USB\VID_413C&PID_8162\6&1C71FF78&0&2
    	Line 2479: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: {Retrieving drivers used by device HID\VID_413C&PID_8161\7&84C0351&0&0000}
    	Line 2480: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: The device setup class for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8161\7&84C0351&0&0000 is 4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318.
    	Line 2481: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: kbdhid is the function driver for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8161\7&84C0351&0&0000
    	Line 2482: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device upper filter drivers are specified for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8161\7&84C0351&0&0000
    	Line 2483: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No device lower filter drivers are specified for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8161\7&84C0351&0&0000
    	Line 2484: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: kbdclass is a class upper filter driver for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8161\7&84C0351&0&0000
    	Line 2485: 2012-05-09 15:55:07, Info                  SYSPRP SPPNP: No class lower filter drivers are specified for device HID\VID_413C&PID_8161\7&84C0351&0&0000

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:21 AM
  • If it works running dism manually (offline) you can compare the dism.log and setupapi.dev.log from that system with the ones from the MDT deployment.

Running dism against an offline image and having dism being called by the offline servicing components should generate the same driver injection experience, but there might be differences in how the drivers are injected.

You can also add a pause to the task sequence, and run dism manually during the WinPE phase and see if that works.

/ Johan

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:35 AM
  • This is what I have tried today, I grabbed the CAB file from the Dell website, extract all the files, recursively injected them into a new WIM file using DISM, create a new task sequence to install Windows 7 (no other changes at all) and all drivers have installed correctly except for the blue tooth drivers.

Log files can be found here

Friday, June 08, 2012 5:11 AM
  • MDT has two ways of detect what drivers to inject into the driver store, the default method which is based on pnpid detection, and another that is based on the drivers you tell MDT to inject. Since the drivers are injected when you run DISM it manually its probably an issue that some devices can not correctly be detected via plug and play... I have seen that a number of times, for example HP smartcard readers are not correctly detected via pnp if you don't have a card in them during deployment.

Try configure MDT for DriverGroup injection and turn of the pnp detection instead, you should now get the same behaviour as when injecting manually with dism.

Since bluetooth fails even if you inject manually you should install the bluetooth driver as an application (with a condition) in the state restore phase if the task sequence.

For info on confuguring MDT for DriverGroup injection, see Scenario #3 – Total Control in this article (also valid for MDT 2012)

MDT 2010 Lite Touch Driver Management
    http://www.deployvista.com/Default.aspx?tabid=78&EntryID=132

/ Johan

Friday, June 08, 2012 6:10 PM
  • I am having a similar issue with MDT 2012 not loading drivers on a base image I created. My old imported task sequences are working great. I created a new base image with 2012, loaded it into my production share, created a task sequence with Drivergroup001 but for some reason it will not load the drivers on any machine. I looked at the log file and the drivergroup001 is being set and MDT is copying the correct drivers to c:\drivers (I can see them on the computer too), but they are not loading. Looking at the CBS_unattend file, DISM can not fine the drivers path in the registry:

DISM Driver Manager: PID=1992 Offline SOFTWARE hive located at: C:\Windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE ( HRESULT = 0x0 ) - DriversCallback
    2012-07-05 20:05:38, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1992 Loaded hive key name {bf1a281b-ad7b-4476-ac95-f47682990ce7}C:/Windows/system32/config/SOFTWARE ( HRESULT = 0x0 ) - DriversCallback
    2012-07-05 20:05:38, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1992 Could not open key for driver path. Err = 0x00000002
     ( HRESULT = 0x0 ) - DriversCallback
    2012-07-05 20:05:38, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1992 Did not find driver path settings in offline hive. Exiting driver installer. Err=0x00000002 ( HRESULT = 0x0 ) - DriversCallback
    2012-07-05 20:05:38, Info                  DISM   DISM Driver Manager: PID=1992 RETURN InstallDriversOffline (0) ( HRESULT = 0x0 ) - 

Not sure how to fix this. Is there any info about this key and can it be added to get past this error?

Friday, July 06, 2012 3:53 PM