none
Migrating Terminal Server Roaming Profiles To New Forest

Question

• I'm performing a user migration between Server 2003 and Server 2012 in a lab environment before performing an on-premise migration.

The Server 2012 is setup as a completely new forest.  This was done because I'm also migrating to Exchange 2013 using CodeTwo Exchange Migration Software.

I have already successfully tested migrating users and groups and computer accounts using ADMT 3.2.

I have two terminal servers with users using roaming profiles and folder redirection.
    The path setting for roaming profiles is specifically set in GPO for remote desktop session host.

How does one migrate these profiles over?  I made sure to tick the translate roaming profiles box when migrating users.

Old Profile Location are in \\oldserver\userprofiles\user.olddomain.v2

New Location would be \\newserver\roamingprofiles\user.newdomain.v2.  This folder name was created when I logged in as an existing user after migrating a test terminal server to the new domain.

I tried taking ownership in both locations to copy files over, it's a big mess.

Some help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hi

Few Things to remember. Group policies are not migrated during Inter-Forest Migration. You need to plan and manage before or after migration.

If you are doing migration then you don't need to change the host name untill there is specific requirement. Same machine and same path could be used in Target domain. Make sure DNS resolutin is happening as expected.

Please share the architecture of your file server (basic infra configuration)

Regards Suman B. Singh

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:06 AM
  • I did move the group policies over and updated the UNC path so that a new roaming profile is created in the new path.

DNS resolution is working as expected.

I did not want to make the new file server the same name as the previous server.  This server is the only dc in the environment at the moment and is running the show with exception to the virtual Exchange 2013 server.

What I am asking is once the new roaming profile is created, is it possible to overwrite the contents of the new profile with the contents of the old profile?

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

When you are using the same roaming profile for a Windows client and a Terminal Services client, the profile may be inconsistent or overwritten. Configuration changes made on the local Windows desktop can overwrite changes made in the Terminal Services client desktop or vice-versa, depending on which desktop is closed last.

For more and detail information, please refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243535

Meanwhile, there is a similar thread has been discussed:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/001d4b2f-895b-4003-a63b-bb2e4e734d54/moving-remote-deskotpterminal-services-roaming-profiles-from-one-server-2008-to-another-server-2008?forum=winserverTS

Please feel free to let us know if you have any update.

Regards.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Vivian Wang

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:28 AM
  • I never said or implied I was using roaming profiles at the desktop level. Please refer to my original question.

And followup question: Once the new roaming profile is created, is it possible to overwrite the contents of the new profile with the contents of the old profile?

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:41 AM
  • Hi,

Please use Robocopy/FSMT to move profile data presevering permissions and then change the Profile path in Active Directory. It's the correct procedure.

Thanks, Brian

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 8:42 AM