none
win 7 64 - logon to domain - folder redirection error

Question

• Hi,

when the user Paul (domain admin!) logs on from his Workstation (win 7 pro 64 bits sp1) to sbs2011 standard, the event viewer shows:

Impossible d’appliquer la stratégie et de rediriger le dossier « Desktop » vers « \\SBS2012\RedirectedFolders\Paul\Desktop ».
     Options de redirection=0x80009231.
     L’erreur suivante s’est produite : « Impossible de créer le dossier "\\SBS2012\RedirectedFolders\Paul\Desktop" ».
     Détails de l’erreur : « Accès refusé. ».

(translation: impossible to apply the Policy and to redirect the folder "desktop" to « \\SBS2012\RedirectedFolders\Paul\Desktop ».
    redirection options= 0x80009231.
    The following error occured: impossible to create the folder "\\SBS2012\RedirectedFolders\Paul\Desktop".
    Error détails: access denied.).

The user is domain admin and the redirection of the folders to the server is activated. I tried to disable it, log on, log off, then re-enable it, but no change. \\sbs2012\RedirectedFolders is accessible from the server when logged as Paul, but not from client when logged as Paul. Also, it is not a firewall issue because the other shares on sbs2012 are accessible from the client when logged as Paul.

Any hint?

Thanks.

Alain Bourgeois

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:37 PM

All replies

• Most likely a permissions issue on the folder on the SBS does not allow it to be moved from the desktop to the SBS.  But don't overlook the possibility that the local profile is corrupted.  I would be certain that the permissions are the same for this user as for those that work properly and if that does not fix it, consider copying out this users files and folders to a safe location, disjoin the computer from the domain (be sure you have a local admin user name and password), delete the domain users profile and rejoin the domain.

I should say it is not a good idea to operate the client computer as either a local or domain admin. 

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:45 PM
  • "Most likely a permissions issue on the folder on the SBS does not allow it to be moved from the desktop to the SBS."

1. How do you explain in this case that browsing to \\sbs2012\RedirectedFolders works from server and not from client? If I can browse from one place, it is not a permissions problem!

2. " delete the domain users profile "=> how do I do this?

Regards.

Alain Bourgeois

Friday, August 23, 2013 10:06 PM
  • Good point on the location.  To test that, and before you do delete the users domain profile, what happens if this same user logs on to the domain from a different computer.  Are the folders redirected properly?  What happens if he puts a document in his my documents folder on that computer, logs off and back on?  Does he have access to the document he just saved?  If the desktop is the only issue, save a document to the desktop and test.

To delete the domain users profile on a single computer simple log on as a local or domain admin that is not the one you want to delte, locate the users\username folder and delete it.  But make certaion you have copied out anything you wish to keep or have a backup of that system or both.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Friday, August 23, 2013 11:02 PM
  • Hi,

if I log on on another computer in the domain as Paul , I can browse to \\sbs2012\redirected without any errors.

So there is a problem only with the computer associated to his account, and the problem is not related to a permission problem on the share / on the files on the server.

Alain Bourgeois

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Good find.  I would either or both:  disjoin the computer from the domain and rejoin, or logon as the domain admin, deleted the folder c:\users\this domain user, then logon as that user and let it recreate the profile.  I would first copy out anything you wish to save, and when the new profile is created copy it back in.  That usually is favorites, desktop and any speciality app data, perhaps a .pst file if there is one and that sort of thing.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Sorry, does not work.

The problem is not related to 1 user: if I log on on this computer as another domain user (that never logged on to this computer), \\sbs2012\redirectedFolders still does not work. I tried re-joining the domain using http://connect, still doesk not work. I also deleted the computer account then re-joined the domain. \\sbs2012\redirectedFolders still does not work. the other shares work, Outlook works, ...

Is there any tool/trace giving a better explanation (return code) than the error box?

\\sbs2012\redirectedfolders HAS to work so that redirection can work.

Alain Bourgeois

Sunday, September 01, 2013 10:30 AM
  • Seems you/we have exhausted about all the possibilities with this station.  It is not the user, it is the computer, or rather this installation of Windows.  Are there any meaningful events in that computers event viewer?  If not, I think you should format the drive and reinstall Windows, or cloning a working system and changing the product key.

Monday, September 02, 2013 2:06 AM
  • Sorry, I can't apply the "easy" answer "reformat the drive then reinstall": many softwares are installed locally on this computer. The only messages appearing at logon are:

event id 510: L’application de la stratégie de redirection de dossier a été différée jusqu’à la prochaine ouverture de session car l’optimisation d’ouverture de session de la stratégie de groupe est en vigueur.

Applying Policy folder redirection has been delayed until next session opening as  the optimization of session opening of group Policy is enabled.

EventId  1112 :L’extension côté client de la stratégie de groupe Folder Redirection n’a pas pu appliquer un ou plusieurs paramètres car les modifications doivent être traitées avant le démarrage système ou la connexion utilisateur. Le système attendra la fin complète du traitement de la stratégie de groupe avant de procéder au prochain démarrage ou à la prochaine connexion pour cet utilisateur. Ceci peut entraîner un ralentissement du démarrage et des performances de démarrage du système.

(The Group Policy Client Side Extension Folder Redirection was unable to apply one or more settings because the changes must be processed before system startup or user logon. The system will wait for Group Policy processing to finish completely before the next startup or logon for this user, and this may result in slow startup and boot performance.)

I tried gpupdate, I first get "update of user Policy ended without error" then I get the same message.

A sipmple share access refused... There should be a command-line tool to see why windows claims, non?

Alain Bourgeois

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 12:38 AM
  • Ok, more new info.  Thanks.  Can you verify that this computer and the usual user are in the same OU as all the others?  Then, can you give us the event ID and source of any errors in the logs that appear to be relevant? 

A fictional English detective once is reported to have said (paraphrasing) "when you have tried all the other solutions and none have worked, what remains is to call Microsoft", or words to that effect.  (Hint:  issues caused by updates are not charged.)

Seriously, see if the event id and source can help pinpoint the solution at this site:  www.eventid.net  as in:

http://eventid.net/display-eventid-510-source-Microsoft-Windows-Folder%20Redirection-eventno-10991-phase-1.htm

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 1:21 AM
  • What do you mean by OU?

Alain Bourgeois

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 6:20 PM
  • Alain:

OU = Organiztional Unit as found in Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC).  In SBS the computers should all be under domain-name-My Business - SBS Computers, and the and Users should be found under domain-name-My Business-Users-SBSUsers.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 7:22 PM