none
Deploying Different SKU's

Question

• Hi,

I have windows 7 professional x64 volume license media, it contains Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate. However, when i chose to deploy a different edition from within the install.wim file it always brings up my operating system choice screen during deployment, and only ever presents Professional as the choice.

I have tried editing the ei.cfg file and deleting it, neither of which allow the installation to progress. however, if i select the professional edition in the task sequence, the screen is not displayed and proceeds unattended. why am i getting this OS choice screen when the install.wim file contains these different editions and ive tried the ei.cfg file being deleted... it must be set somewhere else to always chose professional and block the other options??

the bit that really confuses me is if i import the install.wim file as a custom image in MDT (without all the source folder and stuff) it still doesnt work!!! is this coded inside the wim file to block selection???

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve.

There could be multiple causes for this. Did you perhaps choose to specify the Product Key of Professional during the creation of the task sequence wizard?

As long as Windows setup runs, it'll only be able to install the SKU that's matched to the value in ei.cfg & if specified the product key value. If neither of these are available, it should allow you to install any of the other SKU's (I can confirm at least that what you're trying to do works as planned since I've once created a similar setup for the company I used to work for).

Alternatively, you can actually delete all OS images of Windows 7, and import these using only the wim file (so do not use full source import or specify to import setup files). This will apply the .wim image using the specified index value using ImageX. This will be the default behaviour in a newer version of MDT, so it's not like you'd be doing something that isn't supported.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCC.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

• Marked as answer by Steve Mills Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:15 AM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:26 PM

All replies

• Three things I would check.

1. What OSes show up under Operating Systems on your deployment share?

2. Which of those OSes is your Task Sequence pointing to?

3. what do your logs say?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:22 PM
  • all those OS'es mentioned above show up in the operating system folder, my task sequence points to any of the editions other than professional (because i am testing deploying any other edition, pro seems to work fine the others dont. so for example it points to home premium)

where do i find the log files?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:26 PM
  •  C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS or C:\Windows\Temp\DeploymentLogs
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Hi Steve.

There could be multiple causes for this. Did you perhaps choose to specify the Product Key of Professional during the creation of the task sequence wizard?

As long as Windows setup runs, it'll only be able to install the SKU that's matched to the value in ei.cfg & if specified the product key value. If neither of these are available, it should allow you to install any of the other SKU's (I can confirm at least that what you're trying to do works as planned since I've once created a similar setup for the company I used to work for).

Alternatively, you can actually delete all OS images of Windows 7, and import these using only the wim file (so do not use full source import or specify to import setup files). This will apply the .wim image using the specified index value using ImageX. This will be the default behaviour in a newer version of MDT, so it's not like you'd be doing something that isn't supported.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCC.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

• Marked as answer by Steve Mills Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:15 AM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:26 PM
  • silly me, i left a professional product key in a DB record. all works now. thank you

Steve

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem.

in the task sequence i choose not to specify product key, but still try to install windows vista home premium and get windows vista ultimate installed.

How you fix that?

Thanks

Friday, April 19, 2013 6:35 PM
  • For Windows Vista you will need to configure a product key (at least this is the case when the Windows Setup is used to deploy Vista, I no longer use Vista so I haven't tried deploying it after MDT2010 U2)

You can use one of these windows vista default product keys (these cannot be used to activate windows)

#Business - 4D2XH-PRBMM-8Q22B-K8BM3-MRW4W

#BusinessN - 76884-QXFY2-6Q2WX-2QTQ8-QXX44

#HomeBasic - RCG7P-TX42D-HM8FM-TCFCW-3V4VD

#HomeBasicN - HY2VV-XC6FF-MD6WV-FPYBQ-GFJBT

#HomePremium - X9HTF-MKJQQ-XK376-TJ7T4-76PKF

#Ultimate - VMCB9-FDRV6-6CDQM-RV23K-RP8F7

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCSE (Charter Member), MCC-2011.
    Automatically determine target OU from ComputerName with PS for MDT2012 U1/ConfigMgr
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:44 PM