none
What is the difference between Base licence and upgrade licence?

Question

• What is the difference between WinSL 8.1 SNGL OLP NL Acdmc Legalization GetGenuine (part No - 4HR-00400)  Base licence and WinPro 8.1 SNGL Upgrd OLP NL Acdmc (Part no. - FQC-08173). Are they both necessary??  
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:46 AM

Answers

• Let me clear, I have bought WinSL 8.1 SNGL OLP NL Acdmc Legalization GetGenuine (part No - 4HR-00400). It means my machine has legal OS and I can use it and I dont need to buy WinPro 8.1 SNGL Upgrd OLP NL Acdmc (Part no. - FQC-08173). is it?

I believe that is correct. There should be no reason to buy both licenses for one machine. You should verify this with your reseller or MS.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by jv444 Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:42 AM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 10:24 PM

All replies

• Your reseller or MS Volume Licensing are best to answer this question, since it all depends on what licenses you already have, and what you need to do.

"Legalization GetGenuine" sounds to me like the corrective license, for yuse when you have computers that are incorrectly licensed, and you need to legalize those computers. This is a "Base" license, since it covers the situation where the computers does not have any OEM license attached.

The "Upgrd" sounds like it is for situations where you have an OEM license attached, of an older version, and wish to run Win8.1 on that computer (so you buy an upgrade from the qualifying old OEM license, up to Win8.1).

You should check my theory.

What do you mean "are both necessary"?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:15 AM
  • Let me clear, I have bought WinSL 8.1 SNGL OLP NL Acdmc Legalization GetGenuine (part No - 4HR-00400). It means my machine has legal OS and I can use it and I dont need to buy WinPro 8.1 SNGL Upgrd OLP NL Acdmc (Part no. - FQC-08173). is it?
    Friday, March 21, 2014 8:35 AM

I believe that is correct. There should be no reason to buy both licenses for one machine. You should verify this with your reseller or MS.

Don

• Marked as answer by jv444 Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:42 AM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 10:24 PM