none
DPM 2012 R2 upgrade: Secondary server says that agent on primary server needs update

Question

• I have a DPM setup with a primary and secondary DPM server.

They were both running DPM 2012 SP1. I have now upgraded them to DPM 2012 R2. First the Primary and then the secondary server.

After the servers have been upgraded the secondary server keeps claiming that that the primary server needs an agent update. It claims that the agent version is 4.1.3408.0 but it really is 4.2.1205.0.

So it seams that the secondary server still believes that the primary server is at DPM 2012 SP1.

How do I force the secondary server to talk to the primary server to get the correct DPM agent version so it will do backup of the primary server again.

Thomas Forsmark Soerensen

• Edited by Forsmark Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can just install the agent again from the secondary.  Since agents are always physically installed already on the primary DPM servers, the agent install simply refreshes the SQL table.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that if I try to install a DPM agent on the primary server from the secondary server console it says that an agent is already installed on the primary server.

If I try to install the agent manually on the primary server it says that an agent cannot be installed on server where DPM is installed.

Thursday, January 09, 2014 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

OK - that is not expected behavior, the agent should install again from the GUI. I will try to reproduce your configuration and see if I get similar results.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 09, 2014 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

I was able to duplicate your condition by doing the following:

STARTING POINT:

DPM-PRIM = DPM 2012 Sp1 + UR2 (4.1.3408)
    DPM-SEC  = DPM 2012 Sp1 + UR2 (4.1.3408)

Steps to upgrade:

1) I Update  DPM-PRIM to Sp1 UR3 (4.1.3417)
    2) I Upgrade DPM-PRIM to DPM 2012 R2 (4.2.1205)

3) I Update  DPM-SEC to Sp1 UR3 (4.1.3417)
    4) I Upgrade DPM-SEC to DPM 2012 R2 (4.2.1205)

After upgrades - On DPM-SEC I have the following alert:

ALERT
    =====

Affected area: DPM-PRIM.contoso.com
    Occurred since: 1/9/2014 5:16:35 PM
    Description: The DPM protection agent on DPM-PRIM.contoso.com is incompatible with this DPM instance. All subsequent protection and recovery activities for DPM-PRIM.contoso.com will fail until the correct version of the agent is installed. (ID 3121)
     More information
    Recommended action: 
     On the Agents tab in the Management task area, check the status of the agent and update to the correct version.
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
     Inactivate

AGENT DETAILS - also shows update available link.
    =============

Protection agent version: 4.1.3408.0
    Error: Data Protection Manager Error ID: 296
     The protection agent is incompatible with the version of DPM that is installed on this computer. All subsequent protection and recovery tasks will fail on this computer until you update the protection agent.
    Recommended action: Update the protection agent to a version compatible with the DPM server. From the DPM Administrator Console, open the Agents tab in the Management task area. Select the computer on which the protection agent is installed. Click Update from the Actions pane.

Now I simply REFRESHED the agent by right-clicking and chose the refresh and it shows OK and proper version

After refresh
    ==============
    Protection agent version: 4.2.1205.0
    Network bandwidth usage throttling: Disabled

The Alert was automatically inactivated.

Just for grins, I then installed the agent again VIA the GUI, and that was also successful - no error.

Friday, January 10, 2014 1:41 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer.

My problem is that the refresh will not change anything here.

After  a refresh it will still say that the agent need an update.

It is like the DPM secondary server has the wrong version stored in its DB and will not talk to the primary server (when I do a refresh) to get the correct agent version.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:47 PM
  • Hi Again,

I removed all protection Groups from the secondary DPM server.

Then on the secondray DPM server I removed the connection to the primary DPM server by running the

.\Remove_ProductionServer.ps1

powershell cmdlet.

Now I attached the secondary server to the primary server, and now it seams that everything is running as it should. The secondary server now see the correct DPM agent version on the primary server.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    It is like the DPM secondary server has the wrong version stored in its DB and will not talk to the primary server (when I do a refresh) to get the correct agent version.
    >snip<<o:p></o:p>

The version in the secondary DPM servers DB is the last version it knew about before the primary was upgraded.

FYI - The recommended upgrade order is to do the Secondary DPM server first, then the primary, but in my case the opposite worked, so that should not be the issue. 

I do not know why the refresh is not doing it's job by querying the primary and updating the SQL DB.   If you disconnect the Primary DPM Server from the network, and try a refresh from the secondary, do you get a different error ?  That will confirm we're trying to connect to the primary.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:37 PM
  • Hi Mike,Thanks Again for your answer. As you can see above I have removed all protection Groups on the secondary server, uninstalled the "agent" and attached it Again and now everything is fine.

Can you point me to a place where it is described that the upgrade order is to upgrade the secondary server first and then the primary server?

I have been looking for recommendations about this before I upgraded but I did not find any.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:42 PM
  • Hi,

Well, I was trying to avoid having to stop protection - but glad you are back working again.

The upgrade steps are outlined in the below TechNet article.

Upgrading a DPM server backing up DPM.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj650992.aspx

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:37 AM
  • I had a similar issue but with only one protected data source

1. Switch protection to the secondary DPM server.

2. Attempt agent upgrade from secondary DPM console - received error.

3. Reinstalled the DPM agent on the protected server - running the agent installer exe from the secondary server. Says agent is already present.

4. Uninstalled DPM agent and reinstalled DPM agent on protected server and ran set-dpmserver command. Validated communication with Primary DPM.

5. Switched protection via console on secondary DPM server and ran setdpmserver on protected server to point to secondary server. Ran the upgrade process (failed twice) but succeeded on third try.

At this point agent no reachable is resolved but protection is the wrong way around.

6. Switched protection back to the primary DPM server from the secondary console and ran set-dpmserver on the protected server to point back to the primary and validated communication with the primary DPM server.

7. Secondary server shows as secondary protection and shows correct status instead of access denied message.

Steps 1-3 can probably be skipped but this process worked for me. Hope this helps.

Note: This marked data sources involved as inconsistent - ran a consistency check OK. Then ran a recovery point OK.
    • Edited by Danny Grasso Friday, July 18, 2014 1:46 AM process marks replicas as inconsistent
    Friday, July 18, 2014 1:40 AM