none
ACTIVE PASSIVE CLUSTERING

Question

• Hi all,

i have configured active passive clustering.it is working good.

but i have one doubt what happen when passive node is fail in active passive node clustering.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:07 AM

Answers

• When passive node fails and active node is still working and has ownership of resources nothing will happen..your application will continue accessing SQL server and there would be no downtime...Thats the very basic idea of cluster as far as i think

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Saturday, June 29, 2013 4:47 AM

All replies

• When passive node fails and active node is still working and has ownership of resources nothing will happen..your application will continue accessing SQL server and there would be no downtime...Thats the very basic idea of cluster as far as i think

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Saturday, June 29, 2013 4:47 AM
  • Hi,

When your passive node is fail and if all the SQL resources are running in the acive node then the SQL resources will still be running on the active node but they will not be able to failover in case your active node has any kind of hardware failure or network issue and will lead to data loss.

Also, even in case of failover of SQL resources from active node to passive node there is a small amount of downtime since SQL services will be stopped in active node during failover and it will be started in the passive node, so the in-flight transactions will be lost.

Thanks & Regards RAJUKIRAN L Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:21 PM
  • Hello!

If your instance of the SQL Server remains in the active node nothing will happen, but the operations below will be compromised:

-Failover

-Move group

-Cluster Validation

- MSDTC (if you have one configured and if this one remains in the passive node)

Regards,

André César Rodrigues

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem. Thanks!

Blog: http://sqlmagu.blogspot.com.br  LinkedIn:   

Monday, July 01, 2013 1:25 AM
  • You wound feel any pain if both your cluster core group & SQL FCI is on the same node. How ever if a node carrying any of those fails things will be down for a moment.

The above holds true assuming that for your two node cluster you either have a shared disk or folder / disk only quorum set. Other wise if that's a 2 node node-majority, your setup will be non functional until the quorum comes back. Now the results of this quorum loss will again differ depending on the OS (Win 6.1 & 6.2 calculate it differently)

yup

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:26 AM