none
Multiple NIC configuration question

Question

• I have 4 NIC's installed on my HP DL370 G6 server running Win Server 2008 r2. I assigned a unique static IP to each card. Suddenly, I am getting "duplicate name on TCP network" messages in the error log. I ran nbtstat -n and see that the IP's are reported for the cards . When I nslookup the server, it lists all 4 IP's. Do I need to assign a DNS name to each IP to get rid of this error? What is best practice for using these NICS for best throughput and assigning IP's. This is a backup server.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:55 PM

Answers

• I am in agreement with Bill and Philippe's comments.

For maximum throughput use NIC teaming.

What's the rationale behind assigning 4 IP addresses ? just assigning 4 IPs will not boost network performance.

If you have a specific reason for using all 4 IPs, make sure you only register 1 particular IP in DNS and configure your other NICs not to register them in DNS.

Regards,Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki 

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:37 AM

All replies

•   What did you expect? Your server now has four IP addresses associated with its name. The duplicate name message can mean more that one IP address associated with one name as well as more that one name associated with one IP.

Only one name should be associated an IP, either in DNS or the Netbios name database.

What exactly were you aiming to do here?

Bill

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:33 AM
  • Hi, I agree with Bill, you should make them in load balancing, or in fail-over mode. not with 4 differant IP for the same subnet, it serve no purpose

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
    Microsoft Translator Widget - French moderator (Technet Wiki)

Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:25 AM
  • I am in agreement with Bill and Philippe's comments.

For maximum throughput use NIC teaming.

What's the rationale behind assigning 4 IP addresses ? just assigning 4 IPs will not boost network performance.

If you have a specific reason for using all 4 IPs, make sure you only register 1 particular IP in DNS and configure your other NICs not to register them in DNS.

Regards,Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki 

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:37 AM