none
BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

Question

• I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. Intermittently when booting the computer the Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key Entry screen shows up. Most of the time I can power off the computer and then turn it back on and it loads Windows without that screen showing up. If powering it off and back on again doesn’t get me past the Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key screen, I will enter the recovery key.

I have already reimaged the computer, replaced the hard drive, cleared Bitlocker Cache in the BIOS and have updated the BIOS to the latest version.

Any ideas to keep the Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key Entry screen from showing up?

Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It should be not. We could check as below method:

To verify if your computer has TPM chip, restart your computer and open the BIOS and check the details to find if the TPM is built into the motherboard.

Also, if the TPM driver is installed then it will show up in the Device Manager.

Have you tried manage-bde -off C: command to turn off it? How was the result?

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 03, 2014 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have already reimaged the computer, replaced the hard drive, cleared Bitlocker Cache in the BIOS and have updated the BIOS to the latest version.

Did you mean you have re-install the OS? Did you use another clean image rather than capturing the old OS?

Did you encrypt the OS partition?

Please use below command to check the status:

manage-bde -status

If there is any volume is encrypted, use below command to turn it off:

manage-bde -off C:

Karen Hu

Monday, June 02, 2014 7:18 AM
  • I used an image that wipes the hard drive and installs the OS pre-configured as well as many applications. I have personally installed this version of the image on over 300 computers (over 200 on Dell Optiplex 7010's) with out a problem, so I know the image is good.

There is only one partition and I ran the 'manage-bde -status' and reports 'Fully Encrypted 100%'.

My co-workers suspect it is a bad TPM chip in the BIOS?

Monday, June 02, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

It should be not. We could check as below method:

To verify if your computer has TPM chip, restart your computer and open the BIOS and check the details to find if the TPM is built into the motherboard.

Also, if the TPM driver is installed then it will show up in the Device Manager.

Have you tried manage-bde -off C: command to turn off it? How was the result?

Karen Hu

Tuesday, June 03, 2014 8:41 AM