none
Storage Spaces query/issue using Server 2012 Essentails

Question

• Hi,

I'm using storage spaces in server 2012 essentials. It's a simple storage space using 1x 1tb drive and 1x 2tb drive. A couple of weeks ago I had a warning saying that the space was at low capacity; looking further I saw that the client computer backups was not cleaning up according to the settings that I had applied, so I had to manually run the cleanup task in the task scheduler.

The drive in file explorer shows that there is now quite a bit of drive space available to use, but when looking in storage space manager the capacity used is the same as before i had performed the cleanup, why is this? Is it a bug?

I have restarted the server and have run the disk optimizer, but this has done nothing.

I am looking to move this box onto better hardware, but if the files aren't being deleted properly from the physical drives then I will need to re-evaluate what storage technology to use.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:02 PM

Answers

• Could you share the output of

(this can take a little while)

Optimize-Volume <DriveLetter> -Verbose -SlabConsolidate -Retrim

get-virtualdisk |fl

and

vssadmin list shadows

This will help determine how much space is really in use.

• Marked as answer by TEKY.co.uk Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:28 PM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:18 PM

All replies

• Could you share the output of

(this can take a little while)

Optimize-Volume <DriveLetter> -Verbose -SlabConsolidate -Retrim

get-virtualdisk |fl

and

vssadmin list shadows

This will help determine how much space is really in use.

• Marked as answer by TEKY.co.uk Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:28 PM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, shadow copies was the enemy here.... they completely skipped my mind. I've deleted a couple of dates from that drive and the percentage used in the storage space manager has dropped.

Will keep that in mind in the future :)

(re-running the first command you suggested after deleting the shadow copies the storage space now matches what is shown in file explorer)
    • Edited by TEKY.co.uk Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:47 PM added brackets
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:28 PM