none
How to seperate Power Pivot Data Model and Power Pivot Report from Single Workbook.

Question

• HI  Team,

Initially, We have created Power Pivot report in workbook, containing Source Data Model as well.

Now, we want to convert workbook having model as Shared Data Model, and all report needs to be part of single workbook.

I want to implement one of the below solution, but know how to do it.

1. Separate and Export all Power Pivot report sheet into single Excel Workbook such that it will have all report sheets.

2. Use Same Model as it is and delete reports from existing one after export to new excel workbook.

OR

Is there is any other way to avoid re-creation of reports again? I want to use same report but instead of Embedded Excel data source, I want to use shared data Source in excel.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:15 PM

Answers

• One option is to use one workbook as the data source(model) and other workbooks for the reports.  This works in the stand alone Excel and SharePoint versions of Power BI, but not yet in O365 Power BI version.

There is no export functionality. You would have to copy the workbook and update data source references. I have never tried it, but in theory it should work :).

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:12 AM

All replies

• One option is to use one workbook as the data source(model) and other workbooks for the reports.  This works in the stand alone Excel and SharePoint versions of Power BI, but not yet in O365 Power BI version.

There is no export functionality. You would have to copy the workbook and update data source references. I have never tried it, but in theory it should work :).

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:12 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Yes your answer is partially correct..thanks for reply, I am working on Power Pivot reports on SharePoint.

However, below issues observed.

1. There is No Export Functionality ( as you told)

2. We can not copy report sheet from workbook1 (which has Data Model) to Workbook2 ( only for report) using Control + C (copy) and Control + V (paste) option.

Or Move Power Pivot Table ..

So, solution can be (as you said, unfortunately I tried it already but dint worked)

1. Copied workbook with New Name - Workbook2.

2. Go to Data -> I tried to change connection setting -> to use shared Data Model -> I could create new Pivot table using shared Data Model

But, Still I could use earlier designed Power Pivot tables as it is, to point to shared data model.

I don't want to re-design entire report. As my project workbook has plenty reports.... :)

• Edited by BhaSandy Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:04 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:03 PM

Hi Michael,

Yes your answer is partially correct..thanks for reply, I am working on Power Pivot reports on SharePoint.

However, below issues observed.

1. There is No Export Functionality ( as you told)

2. We can not copy report sheet from workbook1 (which has Data Model) to Workbook2 ( only for report) using Control + C (copy) and Control + V (paste) option.

Or Move Power Pivot Table ..

So, solution can be (as you said, unfortunately I tried it already but dint worked)

1. Copied workbook with New Name - Workbook2.

2. Go to Data -> I tried to change connection setting -> to use shared Data Model -> I could create new Pivot table using shared Data Model

But, Still I could use earlier designed Power Pivot tables as it is, to point to shared data model.

I don't want to re-design entire report. As my project workbook has plenty reports.... :)

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:05 PM