none
MDT2012: Consistent Error From ZTIDiskUtility Script Even With Successful Win7 Deployment

    Question

  • I am using MDT 2012 Update 1 to deploy Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x86. the deployment isn't overly complicated - a few hardware models, some drivers, some applications, joins the domain, etc.  I can get into that if needed.

    After successful deployments, I still have an error in the results.xml that states the following:

    "ZTIDiskUtility!GetDiskFreeSpace Should be deprecated, does not handle avaible space for a new partition"

    BDEDrive is set for 300MB and the OS Drive uses the rest of the disk. Everything installs correctly but my team consistently sees this error message in the logs. I found that I had the Bitlocker information in the customsettings.ini missing for some of my task sequences. Placing the BDEDriveLetter=S and BDEDriveSize=300 back into the customsettings.ini resolved the issue for testing on some of my VMs (didnt enable Bitlocker on the VMs, just testing to see if the error disappeared), but deploying to a laptop and enabling Bitlocker has the error returning.

    I am not sure why this error exists. I am not sure if it is tied to Bitlocker or the BDE drive, but to be clear, I am enabled Bitlocker via GPO so that it is configured to save the keys to AD and write the key to a specific location on the local disk. For clarity I placed the same settings in the MDT customsettings.ini so there were no deployment errors before the machine joined to the domain.

    My customsettings.ini file is below. Thanks. I would like to get rid of this error so that my deployments show successful and I am not misleading my team that there is a problem.

    [Settings]
    Priority=Init,ByVMType,ByLaptopType,ByDesktopType,TaskSequenceName,Default
    Properties=XXXXBranch, XXXXChassis, XXXXSerialNumber

    [Init]
    XXXXSerialNumber=#Right("%SerialNumber%",7)#

    [ByDesktopType]
    Subsection=Desktop-%IsDesktop%

    [ByLaptopType]
    Subsection=Laptop-%IsLaptop%

    [ByVMType]
    Subsection=VM-%Model%

    [Desktop-True]
    XXXXChassis=D

    [Laptop-True]
    XXXXChassis=L

    [VM-Virtual Machine]
    XXXXChassis=V

    [Core Windows 7 Enterprise Build]
    FINISHACTION=REBOOT
    BDEInstallSuppress=NO
    BDEDriveLetter=S:
    BDEDriveSize=300
    BDEInstall=TPM
    BDEKeyLocation=C:\Windows\XXXX\Bitlocker
    BDERecoveryKey=AD
    BDEWaitforEncryption=FALSE

    [Core Windows Vista Enterprise Build]
    FINISHACTION=REBOOT
    BDEInstallSuppress=NO
    BDEDriveLetter=V:
    BDEDriveSize=2000
    BDEInstall=TPM
    BDEKeyLocation=C:\Windows\XXXX\Bitlocker
    BDERecoveryKey=AD
    BDEWaitforEncryption=FALSE

    [XXXXXX Windows 7 Enterprise Build]
    FINISHACTION=REBOOT
    BDEInstallSuppress=NO
    BDEDriveLetter=S:
    BDEDriveSize=300
    BDEInstall=TPM
    BDEKeyLocation=C:\Windows\XXXX\Bitlocker
    BDERecoveryKey=AD
    BDEWaitforEncryption=FALSE

    [Windows Vista Enterprise Deferred Workstation Build]
    FINISHACTION=REBOOT
    BDEInstallSuppress=YES

    [Windows 7 Enterprise Image Test]
    FINISHACTION=REBOOT
    BDEInstallSuppress=YES
    BDEDriveLetter=S:
    BDEDriveSize=300

    [Windows Vista Enterprise Image Test]
    FINISHACTION=REBOOT
    BDEInstallSuppress=YES

    [TEST - Core Windows 7 Enterprise Build]
    FINISHACTION=REBOOT
    BDEInstallSuppress=NO
    BDEDriveLetter=S:
    BDEDriveSize=300
    BDEInstall=TPM
    BDEKeyLocation=C:\Windows\XXXX\Bitlocker
    BDERecoveryKey=AD
    BDEWaitforEncryption=FALSE

    [Test Apps]
    FINISHACTION=

    [Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME= %TASKSEQUENCENAME%
    EventService=http://XXXXXXXXX:9800
    XXXXBranch=180
    OSInstall=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipBitlocker=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipComputerName=YES
    SkipDeploymentType=NO
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinDomain=XXX.XXXX.com
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    KeyboardLocale=en-US
    UserLocale=en-US
    UILanguage=en-US
    SkipPackageDisplay=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    HideShell=Yes

    Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:46 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Somehow, somewhere, you defined Debug=True. Turn it off.

    If you can't find it, open the bdd.log file and grep for debug.


    Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

    Friday, December 13, 2013 12:22 AM
  • Keith you nailed it.

    I had implemented a custom Tattoo and placed debug on there some time ago. I forgot all about it.

    Instead of hunting through a loaded task sequence, I took your advice and scanned the BDD.log file. My tattoo script was setting debug to true after the MDT was reading it as false.

    Nice catch. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

    Friday, December 13, 2013 5:44 PM