none
WSUS updates

Question

• Hi all, 

I installed WSUS server and i configured it to import updates from Microsoft updates.

I installed a WSUS client and configured it to import updates from the WSUS server above without connecting to internet.

The WSUS server is able to connect to the WSUS client.

I am facing 2 problems, the first is that i don't understand the % under 'installed/not applicable' which is less than 100% although i approved all the available updates.

The second problem is that, even if i approved and installed the updates on the client, i am not able to see them in the 'windows update -> installed update'?. So how can i install these updates physically to the server and not only in the WSUS management console?

Thank you

Regards,

Joe

Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:42 AM

All replies

• I installed WSUS server and i configured it to import updates from Microsoft updates.

I installed a WSUS client and configured it to import updates from the WSUS server above without connecting to internet.

A number of considerations may be at work here, so I'm going to respond to each statement individually.

The first thing I'll do is point out what is seemingly a pedantic statement, but is actually quite critical when seeking assistance in a written form, such as forums -- and that's the correct use of terminology. The term "import" means something entirely different in the WSUS environment than how you are using it above, so let me clarify that

• you configured the WSUS server to synchronize from Microsoft, and
    • you configured the client to detect from the WSUS server.

The WSUS server is able to connect to the WSUS client.

To be clear, it is the WSUS client that is connecting to the WSUS server, not the server connecting to the client.

I am facing 2 problems, the first is that i don't understand the % under 'installed/not applicable' which is less than 100% although i approved all the available updates.

So, I think there are a couple of things at work here.

First, the "% Installed/NotApplicable" is just a number that reports the percentage of synchronized updates that are present on the WSUS server and either Installed on the client, or NotApplicable to that client. This value is not 100% because there is at least one update that is neither Installed nor Not Applicable.

Second, "approving all of the available updates" is problematic unto itself, and not the proper way to approach implementing a WSUS server. There are many conversations in this forum that describe the implications of "approving all of the updates", one of them is that it takes a very long time to download the content for thousands of approved updates, which prevents the clients from getting those updates, which almost certainly explains why the client is not yet at 100% Installed/NotApplicable.

Third, it's a simple matter of fact that most clients will never actually achieve 100% Installed/NotApplicable, so you should not be using that value as a guideline for client management. It is, however, a totally expected indication that most *updates* will achieve 100% Installed/NotApplicable (but not all of them!), so this may be the mark you wish to use for monitoring status.

The second problem is that, even if i approved and installed the updates on the client, i am not able to see them in the 'windows update -> installed update'?.

If the updates were actually installed on the client, then they should show up in the Windows Update App -> Show Installed Updates view. You'll need to provide a specific example of this behavior -- i.e. which update was installed that does not show up in the list?

More likely is that you've simply approved the updates, but they've not actually been installed. (That would be the logical conclusion drawn from their absence in the installed updates list, barring any other contradictory data.) This is also a conversation that has occurred dozens of times in this forum (almost weekly, in fact), and this is a matter of simply understanding the operation of Windows Update and the WSUS environment. What is displayed on the WSUS console is the *state* of an update as relates to a client that has reported that state: Installed, NotApplicable, or "Needed" (which means "NotInstalled" in reality). What is displayed in the Control Panel WUApp (and the dialog uses this word quite plainly), is the updates that are available to that client for installation from the update source (which may be WU, MU, or WSUS).

Almost certainly you are not seeing updates in the WUApp because there are no updates available to that client at this time from the WSUS server. (See my previous note about implications of approving thousands of updates.)

So how can i install these updates physically to the server and not only in the WSUS management console?

This statement I'm not quite following since I'm not grasping the concept of "installing updates in the WSUS management console", but to the former part ... the updates cannot be installed until the updates are available to the client.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:29 PM