none
SBS 2011 - PC Backup

Question

• What is with 2011 standard not having the PC backup capability?  Is there a reason, or Standard version feature I am missing that is included.  It seems like there is a feature gap for backups, especially with SBS and DPM not being compatible.  What are you, the community, using to handle centralized PC Backups?
    • Changed type jasonalv Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:21 PM really a convo not a q
    • Changed type Sean Zhu -Moderator Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:44 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've been told there is a realy good reason they didn't include the pc backup feature in SBS standard. The pc backup feature has a maximum load before it will overload your sbs's server and network, this is when you do more then 25 pc backups and SBS standard has a maximum limit of 75 so this could be a problem.

That is one of the reasons there is a maximum limit on sbs essentials of 25. If you would like to introduce pc backup functionality in your network you may take a look a Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials this has the same pc backup feature as sbs essentials and can be added to a domain, but this has also the 25 limit. http://blogs.technet.com/b/storageserver/archive/2010/11/08/announcing-windows-storage-server-2008-r2-essentials.aspx Do not if or when it will be released.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:05 PM

All replies

• I think in many businesses it has been traditional to redirect the My Docs and maybe the user desktops to the server for backup, and then just not backing up client PCs at all.  That's changing now, as people see the benefit of being able to rapidly restore key client PCs as a disaster recovery solution.  I just had an instance where I restored a laptop the day before the user left on an important trip - at best, it would have been an all-nighter for me to scratch install it in time for him to leave.

I've been using ShadowProtect Desktop to back up the key client PCs.  Starting over again today, I'd use a Windows Home Server for this - we bought the SP licenses before home server was available.  There are a lot of people who have used this extensively and with great success, and I think if you look into it you'll find it very cost effective.  A WHS will back up 10 client PCs - if you have more, you can just get two of them.

Just my opinion -I'm OK with not having this feature in SBS.  My SBS has enough to do without trying to figure out how to accommodate client PC backups.

Dave Nickason - SBS MVP
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Well I agree, I had a WTF moment when looking into essentials PC backup and DPM.  There's native Microsoft technology on both sides of SBS Standard, just nothing good for itself.  Kinda like a middle child, huh.  I really like the idea idea of using a Home server alot, though I think there should at least be a native option for the choice.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

I've been told there is a realy good reason they didn't include the pc backup feature in SBS standard. The pc backup feature has a maximum load before it will overload your sbs's server and network, this is when you do more then 25 pc backups and SBS standard has a maximum limit of 75 so this could be a problem.

That is one of the reasons there is a maximum limit on sbs essentials of 25. If you would like to introduce pc backup functionality in your network you may take a look a Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials this has the same pc backup feature as sbs essentials and can be added to a domain, but this has also the 25 limit. http://blogs.technet.com/b/storageserver/archive/2010/11/08/announcing-windows-storage-server-2008-r2-essentials.aspx Do not if or when it will be released.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Thanks for the reply ronny.  That makes perfect sense to me, I can see where that could be a tough thing to explain to a customer when pc #26 attaches.  The Storage Server links seem to get me going in the right direction though.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:16 PM