none
With SharePoint OpenDocuments class disabled cannot create new document from Excel Template? (IE 8)

Question

• Hi, I use SharePoint 2010.

My users were frustrated with login prompts every time they create/edit a word/excel document.

Based on advice in this forum - I asked them to disable IE 8 Addon called SharePoint OpenDocuments class. Following which they were happy.
    BUT
    Now there is one issue though - In document library if they try to create a new EXCEL document from a template - then they see a blank spreadsheet and not the text that should be there by default in the excel template.

Any clues on how to solve this issue?

Thanks so much in advance. 

Friday, July 19, 2013 12:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your post, you had created an excel document as a template, but when you created a new excel document from the template,  you could not see the excel template, just a blank spreadsheet.

I tried to reproduce this issue in IE8 and IE10, both situation worked well in my environment.

You can try the following to troubleshoot this issue,

1. Checking if there are some related detailed error messages from the 14\logs hive.
    2. Checking if only part of client PC have this issue when accessing that library,

(1). If yes,  repair the Office 2010 in their client PC.

(2). If not, this issue may occur in SharePoint server side,

1). Checking  if only this library has this issue via creating another new library with the template.

2). Checking the error log for more information, issue may be related to Excel service.

The following is an article about adding multiple templates to a document library, you can check,

http://letitknow.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/add-multiple-templates-to-a-document-library-in-sharepoint-2010/

if you have any problems, please reply me.

Thanks,

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your post, you had created an excel document as a template, but when you created a new excel document from the template,  you could not see the excel template, just a blank spreadsheet.

I tried to reproduce this issue in IE8 and IE10, both situation worked well in my environment.

You can try the following to troubleshoot this issue,

1. Checking if there are some related detailed error messages from the 14\logs hive.
    2. Checking if only part of client PC have this issue when accessing that library,

(1). If yes,  repair the Office 2010 in their client PC.

(2). If not, this issue may occur in SharePoint server side,

1). Checking  if only this library has this issue via creating another new library with the template.

2). Checking the error log for more information, issue may be related to Excel service.

The following is an article about adding multiple templates to a document library, you can check,

http://letitknow.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/add-multiple-templates-to-a-document-library-in-sharepoint-2010/

if you have any problems, please reply me.

Thanks,

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Hi Qiao,

Thanks for replying.

This happens on ALL of the machines (various users) that I have tried on.

There are absolutely no relevant logs in Event Viewer or in SharePoint 14 hive.

On your advice I added the same template to another document library and yes the issue happens there too.

I tried creating a new template with just one single line - and the issue happens to this as well. 

MS Word templates work all good, this is only with Excel.

Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Monday, July 29, 2013 10:57 PM