none
Cannot access my SQL Azure database

Question

• Starting last night right after 10 PM EST, none of my websites can connect to my SQL Azure db. I can also not connect to it from VS. The portal shows it is there, and I was able to export it successfully, but nothing can connect to it. What is the suggested course of action?

Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:23 PM

Answers

• Depending upon error your action plan will change.

If error is network instance not found try pinging and see if it returns data center name, if it does ping is working (you might see request timed out do not worry about that)

Then next is make sure ports are open (as it was connecting earlier ports should be open but lets not assume anything)

If everything is ok still cant connect , contact support.

If error is regarding IP you know what to do, add it to whitelist.

If it is timeout occurred try increasing timeout to 30 and check, that also fails, contact support.That's all i have.

-Dilkush

Thanks, Dilkush Patel Microsoft SQL Developer Support Microsoft Corporation

Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:10 PM

All replies

• Depending upon error your action plan will change.

If error is network instance not found try pinging and see if it returns data center name, if it does ping is working (you might see request timed out do not worry about that)

Then next is make sure ports are open (as it was connecting earlier ports should be open but lets not assume anything)

If everything is ok still cant connect , contact support.

If error is regarding IP you know what to do, add it to whitelist.

If it is timeout occurred try increasing timeout to 30 and check, that also fails, contact support.That's all i have.

-Dilkush

Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Ok. I created a support ticket. The ports are open. Nothing has changed with the configuration. This just started out of the blue last night. This appears to be a network latency issue or workload issue on the sql instance. After further investigation, it will work for 1 attempt out of 50 or so. My website traffic has not changed at all. I also cannot connect from the Silverlight admin portal. It just times out. This seems related to what other users are reporting in this forum.
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Support people will help you out with his.

-Dilkush

Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:59 AM
  • Hi Frank,

I’m writing to follow up with you on this post. Was the problem resolved after performing our action plan steps? If you can connect to the SQL Azure now, we hope you can post a reply to share your solution and I’d like to mark this issue as "Answered". That way, other community members could benefit from your sharing.

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 6:54 AM