none
Change datasource when using the async function to schedule a report using remote mode

Question

• Using the remote mode we need the ability to dynamically change the data source for the report instance we are scheduling not the report stored in SQL Server catalog. How can we do this?
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:12 PM

All replies

• See if this helps you

http://forums.asp.net/t/1184635.aspx

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:27 AM
  • This will require a rdlc file for every environment, database, report we have, over 15K rdlc files. I don't think this is a solution.

Terry

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Hi Terry,

Thank you for your question. 

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 04, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

If above link not help you, can you explain more in detail for what you want to achieve

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 04, 2013 9:00 AM
  • Not a problem let me tell you what we do with our integration with Crystal Enterprise (CE) and what we are trying to accomplish with SSRS.  We create Sql Reports with SSRS the same as we do with Crystal Reports.  We currently have ~600 reports we use to support our Global business partners. We have 3 environments in each country we support.

We created a routine to publish reports to CE and retrieve an object reference (object_id), basically a number for each report and store as meta data in a system table.  Our Web interface allows a user to schedule reports, we pull the report object_id (parent object) and call a method to run a report instance. The scheduling method allows us to pass the database instance name. We implement Federated Oracle databases, meaning we can run the reports against many Oracle instances in an environment.

Example

Database A, Database B, Database C, Report 123

We can schedule to run Report 123 against Db – A, B, or C by passing the db instance name and using the parent object_id to generate an instance of the report.

From the SSRS implementation to support one country will require creating 600 reports x 3 environments = 1800 rdlc files; now multiple that by the number of countries we support and it becomes ridiculous. We cannot modify the report data source located on SSRS server because two different users could schedule to run the same report using Db A and Db B at the same time.

Terry

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 8:26 PM
  • I'm assuming there is nothing to resolve this, how can I get to a Ms Developer to request a change. All we need is the ability to pass the database name in the function call. 

sHistoryID = m_RptSvc2010.CreateItemHistorySnapshot(sReportPath, sDatabaseName, out aWarnings);

Friday, December 13, 2013 7:56 PM