none
Error Connecting to Password Protected Access 2010 Database

Question

• I am trying to connect to a password protected Access 2010 database using PowerPivot.  After configuring the connection, I click Test Connection, I get an error saying that it can't start the application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user:

============================
    Error Message:

Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user.
    ----------------------------
    Failed to connect to the server. Reason: Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user.

I know the database isn't opened exclusively by another user. I've even created my own local access database that I password protected and still get the same error.

Thanks

Jeff

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

I can reproduced this issue on my test environment. Whe we encrypt the Access database file, we only type in the password without account information(We don't have the account information). So, when we want to import access data into PowerPivot, we can only type in the password, and problem arise.

I'm not familar with Access DB encryption mechanism, so I recommend you open a case at Access forum.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=accessdev 

Currently, there is a workaround that we can decrypt the Access database file and then load our expected data into PowerPivot model. After that, we can encrypt the Access database file.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

Have you try to create a new Access database with out encryption protection? Is this works for you?

Regards,

Elvis Long

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Elvis thank you for the response.

I did try a new Access DB without encryption production and it worked fine with PowerPivot.  As soon as I add encryption protection I get the same error.  I used the correct password and Admin as the user.

Thanks again for your help.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:38 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

I can reproduced this issue on my test environment. Whe we encrypt the Access database file, we only type in the password without account information(We don't have the account information). So, when we want to import access data into PowerPivot, we can only type in the password, and problem arise.

I'm not familar with Access DB encryption mechanism, so I recommend you open a case at Access forum.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=accessdev 

Currently, there is a workaround that we can decrypt the Access database file and then load our expected data into PowerPivot model. After that, we can encrypt the Access database file.

Regards,

Elvis Long

Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:49 AM
  • Thank you Elvis.  I will open a post in the Access forum.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:13 PM