none
Why is there a $OEM$ directory in the deployment share for MDT 2013?

Question

• Is this leftover from when MDT supported Windows 5.x deployments?  Can it be deleted?

If so, shouldn't it be considered a bug that the directory is created on a new deployment share with MDT 2013?

-Tony

Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Tony,

I've used Notepad++ to find in files any reference to this folder, and came to the following conclusion:

the $OEM$ folder is certainly not a bug, it is also present for a while, since I have looked into my shares which are created with MDT 2012 Update 1 and also there an $OEM$ directory is present.

To my understanding the OEM directory is used to hold the Sysprep files for Windows XP and Server 2003 deployments.

I think it will do no harm in deleting the folder, neither will it do any harm to leave it. The folder remains empty.

But I think your conclusion is right, this is a left over from the Windows XP, Server 2003 era.

I think the MDT Dev team, just hasn't cleaned up this stuff, perhaps due to any relation we are not aware of.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by Tony MCP Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:21 AM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 12:55 PM
  • I'll add to that... the $OEM$ folder used to be used for various reasons. One major one that I like was using to be able to place files in the OS image that were not in the pre-captured WIM being used in the MDT Operating Systems node.

For example, if I wanted to place a directory within the OS, we'll call this directory c:\Dell\_JoeG, and have this directory contain several files and sub folders... I would copy the files from my local drive to the $OEM$\$1 directory. When the OS is deployed, MDT basically copies those folders and contents to the root of the physical drive being deployed to, in this case C:\.

"What is the $1 for?" I'm glad you asked... $1 means copy the contents to the root of the drive... $$1 means copy the contents to ..\Windows directory. For me, this $OEM$ folder was very useful for wanting to manipulate or massage the Windows image without having to recapture another WIM image. As an OEM vendor (Dell), it also provides a lot of leeway to be able to add custom contents (scripts, group policy settings, OS configurations, etc.) to a customer's image without having to re-engineer the whole process over again. 

This $OEM$ went away with MDT 2012 and beyond... The $OEM$ directory still exist but is not being used by MDT any longer. You can still use it if you follow Michael Niehaus' Copy $OEM$ Files script, otherwise it no longer is being used in 2012 on up. 

Resources:
    [-] $OEM$ Distribution Folders
    [-] $OEM$ Alternative in MDT 2012

EDIT: Sorry, I should have also answered you question... It is not a bug and it should not be deleted. Also, it is not leftover once your OS Deployment is completed. This directory only resides within the MDT deployment media and not your OS. 
    • Edited by _JoeG Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:57 PM Additional info
    • Marked as answer by Tony MCP Monday, January 20, 2014 1:40 AM
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Tony,

I've used Notepad++ to find in files any reference to this folder, and came to the following conclusion:

the $OEM$ folder is certainly not a bug, it is also present for a while, since I have looked into my shares which are created with MDT 2012 Update 1 and also there an $OEM$ directory is present.

To my understanding the OEM directory is used to hold the Sysprep files for Windows XP and Server 2003 deployments.

I think it will do no harm in deleting the folder, neither will it do any harm to leave it. The folder remains empty.

But I think your conclusion is right, this is a left over from the Windows XP, Server 2003 era.

I think the MDT Dev team, just hasn't cleaned up this stuff, perhaps due to any relation we are not aware of.

Cheers!

• Marked as answer by Tony MCP Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:21 AM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 12:55 PM
  • I think it will do no harm in deleting the folder, neither will it do any harm to leave it. The folder remains empty.

I agree!  Thanks for confirming.  Hopefully Microsoft will remove this kind of stuff.  I hate having obsolete "junk" floating around.

-Tony

Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:21 AM
  • I'll add to that... the $OEM$ folder used to be used for various reasons. One major one that I like was using to be able to place files in the OS image that were not in the pre-captured WIM being used in the MDT Operating Systems node.

For example, if I wanted to place a directory within the OS, we'll call this directory c:\Dell\_JoeG, and have this directory contain several files and sub folders... I would copy the files from my local drive to the $OEM$\$1 directory. When the OS is deployed, MDT basically copies those folders and contents to the root of the physical drive being deployed to, in this case C:\.

"What is the $1 for?" I'm glad you asked... $1 means copy the contents to the root of the drive... $$1 means copy the contents to ..\Windows directory. For me, this $OEM$ folder was very useful for wanting to manipulate or massage the Windows image without having to recapture another WIM image. As an OEM vendor (Dell), it also provides a lot of leeway to be able to add custom contents (scripts, group policy settings, OS configurations, etc.) to a customer's image without having to re-engineer the whole process over again. 

This $OEM$ went away with MDT 2012 and beyond... The $OEM$ directory still exist but is not being used by MDT any longer. You can still use it if you follow Michael Niehaus' Copy $OEM$ Files script, otherwise it no longer is being used in 2012 on up. 

Resources:
    [-] $OEM$ Distribution Folders
    [-] $OEM$ Alternative in MDT 2012

EDIT: Sorry, I should have also answered you question... It is not a bug and it should not be deleted. Also, it is not leftover once your OS Deployment is completed. This directory only resides within the MDT deployment media and not your OS. 
    • Edited by _JoeG Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:57 PM Additional info
    • Marked as answer by Tony MCP Monday, January 20, 2014 1:40 AM
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:55 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Very useful information you have shared here. I sincerely thank you for the explanation!

Sunday, January 19, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Yw! $OEM$ was a lifesaver in my world. :)
    • Edited by _JoeG Monday, January 20, 2014 4:18 PM grammar correction
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 6:40 PM