none
WSUS settings are correct, clients + server its installed on can't get updates

Question

• Hi guys,

2011 SBS machine. Just noticed that updates last installed in Feb 2013.

WSUS settings are correct, clients + server its installed on can't get updates. It's synchronizing correctly, logs show the WSUS database is running correctly.

The weird bit is in regards to the "windows update screen". Generally you'll see a little box on any computer saying something like "you're set to automatically download updates", "no updates available" etc. I wish I could just see an error code!

But alas, all I see is a grey box with "Some settings are managed by your systems administrator"

Check for updates responds with the following: "Windows update cannot check for updates, because updates on this computer are controlled by your system administrator."

I have reinstalled WSUS 3.0 SP2 and configured. No solution.

The only thing I can think of is that there is an issue with IIS, or a firewall issue with port 8530 (allowed through firewall). The client accessing itself and having an issue is weird though! No errors in the log.

Any hints or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:27 AM

Answers

• Turned out to be the administrator before me (Muppet). He had disabled updates through a group policy for a terminal server and applied it to the SBS Users group (the administrators account). Moved the user account, ran gpupdate and updates can now be downloaded and installed. Gir.   
    • Marked as answer by Peter Sims Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:08 AM
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:08 AM