none
expanding c:\ partition when also having a d:\ on the same physical drive

Question

• I am running server 2008R2

I have a c:\ partition that is too small and a d:\ right next to it on the same physical drive.  I want to shrink d:\ by 40GB and then give that space to c:\.  This doesn't seem possible as I can only increase d:\ and not c:\ since its not right next to it.  The only option is to delete all of d:\ which I don't want to do since I have programs installed on d:\

I saw this

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mghazai/archive/2009/02/24/extend-system-boot-volume-on-windows-server-2008-windows-vista-win7-beta.aspx

and read this comment:

Now thats all well and good, but what if i have two partitions say C and D and C has say 40Gb and D has 160Gb making a total of 200Gb C becomes full and D has over 100Gb free and you want to shink D and add some of that space to C vista does not seem to allow this or does it?

Regards

Abe

•                          Mark Ghazai                             

Mark Ghazai

Microsoft Corp.

2,462 Points                3                1                0                       
      Recent Achievements           
      Blogger II                                            New Blog Commentator                                            New Blog Rater                                                           
      View Profile           

13 Apr 2009 12:31 AM     

Hi Abe,

Thanks for your comment.

You might have noticed that shrinking D: volume puts the unallocated space at the end of D: partition.

You can only extend a partition if the unallocated space is immediately at the end of that partition, in this case having the unallocated space between C: and D: volumes will let you extend the C: volume.

Now, here is a solution I can think of right away;

1- Temporarily move all the Data from D: volume to someplace else

2- Change the D: drive letter to a different drive letter that is available on the system (for instance Z:)

3- Shrink Z: to whatever size that you’d like to add to C: volume.

4- Create a new volume out of the unallocated space that was taken from Z: and assign D: as the drive letter.

5- Delete Z: volume that will make it an unallocated partition between C: and D:

6- Extend the C: partition.

Hope this helps!

-Mark

Does anyone have a better way of doing this?

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:44 PM

Answers

All replies