none
An unhandled exception occurred error

Question

• Hello,

In trying to respond to a task (review and approve a document) in a workflow, I have received the following error:

Cannot find ContentPlaceHolder 'SPNavigation' in the master page '~masterurl/default.master', verify content control's ContentPlaceHolderID attribute in the content page.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Cannot find ContentPlaceHolder 'SPNavigation' in the master page '~masterurl/default.master', verify content control's ContentPlaceHolderID attribute in the content page.
    Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Cannot find ContentPlaceHolder 'SPNavigation' in the master page '~masterurl/default.master', verify content control's ContentPlaceHolderID attribute in the content page.]

System.Web.UI.MasterPage.CreateMaster(TemplateControl owner, HttpContext context, VirtualPath masterPageFile, IDictionary contentTemplateCollection) +1149

System.Web.UI.Page.get_Master() +69

System.Web.UI.Page.ApplyMasterPage() +18

System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +58

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1256

I have seen similiar errors discsussed online, but really no resolution. Are there any suggestions on how I can reslove this issue? Many thanks.

Monday, November 11, 2013 2:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi.

Have you modified the default.master master page?

Regards,
    Bubu
    http://zsvipullo.blogspot.it

Please mark my answer if it helped you, I would greatly appreciate it.

• Marked as answer by Anita T Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:12 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Hello Bubu,

Thanks for your reply.  I did not modify the master page. Does this need to be done? If so, would you have some directions.

Thanks,

AT

Monday, November 11, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Hello,

Which workflow you are using? Is it third party WF? As per my knowledge if there is any problem with master page then you should not able to open your site so if you are able to open your site but not able to approve task then there might be a different problem.

However default.master is no more available in SP 2010, it is V4.master. default.master is applicable only on migrated site. Could you please provide more information about your WF and SP site?

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:35 AM
  • Hello,

I am using Nintex Workflow Designer.

Just in case I went back and reset the master page. Next I tried to respond to the workflow task and now I have a different error message:  

An unexpected error has occurred.

Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services

I have reviewed the workflow and not sure what the issue is. Any advise. I do not want to give up.

Many thanks.

AT

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Hello,

Could you post your issue in Nintext forum? As i told this is not master page issue but it may be related to your WF tool.

http://connect.nintex.com/forums/default.aspx

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

I have reset my master page to default and now it is working.

Thank-you

AT

Anita T.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:11 PM