none
Server for SCCM 2012 SP1

Question

• Dear All,

I want to ask about installing SCCM on Windows Server 2012, whether it should be installed on the Domain Controller Server? Then, is it okay if not installed on a Non-DC? Can anybody give the reason?

Please enlightenment.

Thank You.

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 12:21 AM

Answers

• Although it is supported to install SCCM roles on a DC but it is not recommended to install on DC because most of the IT companies don't want any additional services to be installed on a DC. Additionally, SCCM also does require IIS to be installed (MP/DP role) which exposes your DC to IIS attacks which is definitely anyone like to avoid.

Moreover please check below link (although it is related to SCCM 2007) but I'm sure the underlying best practices remains same in SCCM 2012 i.e. "Install Configuration Manager on a member server instead of a domain controller"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb694127.aspx

Hope this will help!

Cheers | Navdeep Sidhu

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 9:48 AM
  • It would be recommended to install SCCM on a different Server in production. Over loading a Domain control with an additional role is not  good choice. You can install it on a separate server which is a member of the DC.

Again you have to install the SQL database too. Installing all these in one server certainly affect the performacnce.

If  you are talking about an environment with large number of machines. It is better to install SQL database in a seperate server.

Please vote if this is helpful

Ajo Abraham.

MCP, MCTS

----------------------------- Knowledge is Power------------------

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

Although, SCCM 2012 can be installed on a DC, but it is not recommended configuration. I suggest you install it on a domain-joined server. 

Please see the Supported Configurations for Configuration Manager

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't suggest to install SCCM on a Domain Controller server. Normally I don't suggest SCCM to share the server with any other application. Unless it is on a testing environment.

Regards,
    Hau

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 12:40 AM
  • Although it is supported to install SCCM roles on a DC but it is not recommended to install on DC because most of the IT companies don't want any additional services to be installed on a DC. Additionally, SCCM also does require IIS to be installed (MP/DP role) which exposes your DC to IIS attacks which is definitely anyone like to avoid.

Moreover please check below link (although it is related to SCCM 2007) but I'm sure the underlying best practices remains same in SCCM 2012 i.e. "Install Configuration Manager on a member server instead of a domain controller"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb694127.aspx

Hope this will help!

Cheers | Navdeep Sidhu

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 9:48 AM
  • It would be recommended to install SCCM on a different Server in production. Over loading a Domain control with an additional role is not  good choice. You can install it on a separate server which is a member of the DC.

Again you have to install the SQL database too. Installing all these in one server certainly affect the performacnce.

If  you are talking about an environment with large number of machines. It is better to install SQL database in a seperate server.

Please vote if this is helpful

Ajo Abraham.

MCP, MCTS

----------------------------- Knowledge is Power------------------

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

Although, SCCM 2012 can be installed on a DC, but it is not recommended configuration. I suggest you install it on a domain-joined server. 

Please see the Supported Configurations for Configuration Manager

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 3:33 PM