none
Error Code 800704C3 When Trying to Capture an Image using the Sysprep and Capture Task

Question

• Getting the dreaded 800704C3 error message.

I have seen the post on the Deployment Guys blog explaining the problem, and how to fix it.

I must suck at coding because I keep getting an error when I try to correct it and also the code it says to replace doesn't quite match what is in my ZTIUility.vbs file.

On the Deployment Forum somone was kind of enough to post a file that was supposed to fix it. Unfortunately, it didn't help me any.

Question 1: Is there an official KB yet  or an official patch I can grab? 
    Question 2: Am I editing both the script in the templates folder and the one created in my deployment share? Or am I going to edit the one in the templates folder and regenerate the deployment point which will pull in the new file?

When I get back to my desk, I'll print off the code from the ZTIUtility.vbs and then bust out my trusty highlighter and start working. If you see smoke coming from my direction, don't be alarmed. It is usually never good when an network guy starts coding.

Thanks
    Todd
    Friday, November 13, 2009 4:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Friday, November 13, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Thanks Keith, 

I did see the official response through the msdeployment blog. You don't get that many results when you bing for "MDT 800704C3". 
    :-) 

My problem with the coding was the code they said to replace didn't match what I had in the ZTIutility.vbs, which is really odd. I have to ivestigate that a little further.  I'll give this script a try in a few minutes and see how it works out.

Congrats on the exam pass by the way.
    Todd
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Tried replacing the script in the scripts folder of my deployment share using yours Keith; still no dice. The log gives a message (paraphrasing the log) of validating connection to the deployment share captures folder, then the next line it says is already connected, "as this is where the script is running from". The next line is the error 800704C3. I know that the capture task does work, because I captured a Windows XP image on Tuesday. I'll keep working on this over the next couple of days. I am sure I'll get it figured out.
    • Proposed as answer by CDMi Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:26 PM
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Still haven't got it figured out. Odd messsage and odd it is only happening on the Vista machines. I can capture XP machines without a hitch.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:42 AM
  • What is your process for starting the sysprep and capture task sequence?  What use account are you logged as and can you send the relevant portions of the bdd.log file?
    Tim Mintner Principal Consultant Xtreme Consulting Group http://deployment.xtremeconsulting.com
    Monday, December 07, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Tim the log is pretty useless.

<![LOG[Property LogPath is now = C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS]LOG]!><time="10:38:12.000+000" date="12-07-2009" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[FAILURE ( 5206 ): The Deployment Wizard was cancelled or did not complete successfully.  The deployment will not proceed.]LOG]!><time="10:38:12.000+000" date="12-07-2009" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="3" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

Its a Sysprep and Capture task I am trying to run on a Windows Vista SP2 computer. First with the machine on the domain, I have tried connecting to the DeploymentShare as my high level admin account (Domain Admin) and as the Enterprise Admin account tried running the litetouch.wsf and litetouch.vbs files to get the script running. When it asks for your username credentials to connect to the share is where I get the error message.

Then I removed the computer from the domain and tried again. No luck. I am at a loss as to why it works on XP and not Vista.

I have been able to successfully run the sysprep and capture from a Windows XP domain joined machine. The captured image is now on my server (I added it as an application.)

I am hoping I can solve this soon, I am presenting MDT2010 in Ottawa for TechDays Canada and I want to talk about this working..

Todd

Monday, December 07, 2009 7:19 PM
  • If that is all the log file shows then there is something else wrong with the deployment process.  It should show the network connection attempt.  Is there a left over MiNINT directory?
    Tim Mintner Principal Consultant Xtreme Consulting Group http://deployment.xtremeconsulting.com
    Monday, December 07, 2009 8:23 PM
  • No the old MININT folder is gone. I don't get very far in, the error message pops up when you are entering your credentials to launch the task. Remember I am launching this from a share, \\servername\deploymentshare$\scripts\ , and I tried from a mapped drive. I wonder if it would work if I copied the scripts folder to the local machine and then tried launching from there.

When I get back from presenting at TechDays, I'll take a camtasia of trying to run the task sequence. I would use the problem step recorder, but it is a Vista machine.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:37 AM
  • Instead of mapping the network drive what happens if you run cscript.exe \\servername\deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.wsf
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Tim I haven't had a chance to get back to the branch library to work on this yet, but when I do, I'll give the above a try.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:16 PM
  • I'm seeing exactly what Todd describes. I'm trying to run a capture of a fresh install of XP SP3 using MDT 2010 on 2008 R2.

When I run cscript.exe \\server\deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.wsf I get the following:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>cscript.exe \\server\deploymentshare$\scripts
    \litetouch.wsf
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Microsoft Deployment Toolkit version: 5.0.1641.0
    Property Debug is now = FALSE
    No task sequence is in progress.
    Property SMSTSLocalDataDrive is now = C:
    Property DeploymentMethod is now = UNC
    DeploymentMethod = UNC
    Property DeployRoot is now = \\server\deploymentshare$
    Validating connection to \\server\deploymentshare$
    Already connected to server server as that is where this script is running fr
    om.
    DeployRoot = \\server\deploymentshare$
    Property DeployDrive is now =
    DeployDrive =
    Property PHASE is now = VALIDATION
    Phase = VALIDATION
    About to run command: wscript.exe "\\server\deploymentshare$\scripts\ZTIGathe
    r.wsf" /inifile:Bootstrap.ini
    Validating connection to \\SERVER\DeploymentShare$
    Already connected to server SERVER as that is where this script is running fr
    om.
    About to run command: wscript.exe "\\SERVER\deploymentshare$\scripts\ZTIGathe
    r.wsf"
    Validating connection to \\SERVER\DeploymentShare$
    Already connected to server SERVER as that is where this script is running fr
    om.
    About to run command: MSHTA.exe "\\server\deploymentshare$\scripts\Wizard.hta
    " /definition:DeployWiz_Definition_ENU.xml

The output stops there and the wizard fails with the message, "*Invalid credentials: (800704C3)"

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:47 AM
  • I was having a similar issue when trying to run a refresh scenario and starting the task sequence from within the live OS.  the fixed ZTIUtility.vbs did not fix my issue, so what I did was add a line to ZTIUtility.vbs to disconnect the mapped drive and then the task sequence continues on its merry way.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:36 PM
  • I have been calling the pause task script as that allows me to do what I need to do and then capture the image. What I am doing is baking some software into the image. 

To do this, to my task sequence, I have been calling cscript.exe %SCRIPTROOT%\LTISuspend.wsf

Task sequence stops, I do what ever I need to do, then click the desktop icon to the task sequence going again and create my image.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:22 PM
  • "I was having a similar issue when trying to run a refresh scenario and starting the task sequence from within the live OS.  the fixed ZTIUtility.vbs did not fix my issue, so what I did was add a line to ZTIUtility.vbs to disconnect the mapped drive and then the task sequence continues on its merry way."

Can you tell me what exactly I need to write and where for this Eschloss? or anyone else?
    I would be very thankful!!
    • Proposed as answer by qyua007 Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:06 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:40 PM
  • How would I add to the script to disconnect the mapped drive and then continue the task sequence

Monday, May 31, 2010 1:46 PM
  • when try to do a refresh deployment , If Error 800704c3 happens, try:

1. Enter the IP address of the dns server rather than domain name in credential text-fields

----- Example: Domain: 192.168.1.100, NOT mdt.com

2. Never  tick the "Remember my credential " when connect to the MDT server

--------------------------------------------

Credits go to IPCtec and PaulM69 who mentioned the solution on this page

• Proposed as answer by qyua007 Wednesday, January 02, 2013 5:12 AM
    • Edited by qyua007 Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:05 AM
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 3:42 AM