none
2901 Pain

Question

• Hi All.

Getting an annoying error with VMM 2012 SP1 (Update 3) V2V behaviour. I am attempting to migrate a test 2003 x86 server from my lab VMware 5.1 server. I have a virtual VCenter 5.0 instance running to facilitate this.

So I power down my 2003 server and go with the regular v2v wizard, only issue I get Is a cluster overcommit but to my mind that should not stop the V2V going through on my lab, there is enough resource on the hyper-V node that is the target.

It exits quickly with a 2901 error after I run through the wizard -

I used the generated PowerShell script which does error. Script error Get-SCVirtualNetworkAdpater  and problem with argument on parameter VirtualNetworkAdapter

Try converting it with no NIC on the target Hyper-V side etc. No luck with that. MVMC does the job just fine but I am really keen to get to the bottom of this, I notice I am not the only one with this really unhelpful 2901 error!

Any and all help appreciated.

Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:33 PM

All replies

• I have seen very odd behavior during V2V's. It's often related to the bandwidth settings on the ESX host. By tuning the QoS to the minimum here, it might go through.

Another option would be to run the traditional P2V on the same machines.

-kn

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

Sunday, September 01, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Hi Kristian,

Thanks for the response (big fan of the blog btw!).

I tend to agree with you on the odd behaviour, of all the toolsets and transformation types V2V on SCVMM 2012 (SP1 at least) seems to be a sticking point for many.

P2V as you mention is fast becoming an accepted alternative for many it seems. I personally don't see the downside in P2V versus V2V and cant find anything that describes the actual potential difference in the end result. P2V just behaves itself and is generally pretty rapid.

I find it harder and harder to justify troubleshooting effort in making V2V viable. Not sure how Microsoft view this from a support viewpoint but I doubt it would be viewed as unsupportable.

I will leave this hanging for a couple more days and then mark you of with an answer credit Kristian, appreciate the input and may mess with ESX QOS when I have the necessary kit to hand.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 8:21 PM