none
Development through ISA Server

Question

• Hello,

My question is broad in that I will definately consider rearchitecting the framework currently in use. So my problem is this. Our website is used by employees in our corporate locations around the state. They also have access from home or other external locations....truly external NOT over VPN. Now not all functionality, information etc. is available externally and so we keep tabs on where the request is coming from in terms of an IP address. If it comes from X,Y,or Z we know those are the ISA server and thus we implement the "external user" business logic.

When developing I am able to easily test and code for internal scenarios but external is not so easy....well with my level of knowledge at least. It seemed simple at first just add my localhost ip to the list of "external" sources. Such as X,Y,Z,Dev but that didn't work. Why? Because apparently VS2010 when launching in debug mode doesn't use an IP it uses ::1.

With current design I need to somehow route from the dev environment, through the isa server, back to the dev environment. Something like dev machine builds to virtual machine web server, then debug from host through isa (maybe host file entry) and ISA sends to virtual machine server. 

So my question is how does one test for external operation through an ISA server. Again if the whole approach is wrong I'm willing to redo it.

Any input greatly appreciated

JB

• Moved by Andreas Johansson Thursday, September 08, 2011 7:46 PM Not dev issue, config environment (From:Visual C# General)
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 7:25 PM

Answers

• I figured out a way to simulate it. I have an enumeration for the different location types so I flip it to External when I want to test external.
    • Marked as answer by zzpluralza Friday, September 09, 2011 9:16 PM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 9:15 PM

All replies

• Your question seem a bit strange and it is not really for these forums. You may get better help in the IIS or ASP.NET forums.

http://forums.iis.net
    http://forums.asp.net

What you may have to do is route your request to go over the external network.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 7:45 PM
  • It has nothing to do with IIS. Perhaps ASP.NET but really the question is a general development question. As you say I DO need to route my "dev client request" over the external network but then point it back to my vs 2010 dev server. So I am a little confused has the post been moved or do I need to move it still because the tag says you moved it for me??

TIA

JB

Thursday, September 08, 2011 8:00 PM
  • I figured out a way to simulate it. I have an enumeration for the different location types so I flip it to External when I want to test external.
    • Marked as answer by zzpluralza Friday, September 09, 2011 9:16 PM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 9:15 PM