none
How to ignore an update for a computer?

Question

• It appears that KB2862330 and its USB driver changes has created a problem with a USB-connected scanner, so I would like on this client to Uncheck the update and Hide it so as not to be bothered with it again.

This leaves WSUS to report that the updates for this computer are not complete, which is a distraction I do not want. I have tried moving this computer into a new computer group ("Exceptions") and then removing the Approval for this group, but this has not worked i.e. WSUS still reports this computer as "needing an update".

Is there any way to have WSUS not report this computer as needing this update?

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:21 PM

Answers

• It appears that KB2862330 and its USB driver changes has created a problem with a USB-connected scanner

So, first question: is this the *fixed* KB2862330 that was revised on 1/14/2014, or is this the original KB2862330 from October that has a large number of identified defects?

I would like on this client to Uncheck the update and Hide it so as not to be bothered with it again.

That's one possible approach.

This leaves WSUS to report that the updates for this computer are not complete, which is a distraction I do not want.

Correct. But it's a fact. If you don't install the update, the update is not installed, and nothing is ever going to change that fact.

So, essentially, you're saying you want WSUS to lie about a reality that exists?

No, there's no way to have the Windows Update Agent report the status on an update any different than it actually is.

However, once you have installed KB2862330 every place else you plan to install it, you could DECLINE that update, which will prevent this client (and of course all the others) from reporting ANY state information about that update at all. Downside: You'll have no way of knowing (via WSUS) where the update is or is not installed... AND... none of that prevents an unhelpful user of that system from subsequently installing that update anyway.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, January 24, 2014 9:43 PM
  • Yup it is the "fixed" recent revision of this that is giving a scanner fits.

So the answer to my question is NO and thus I will live with the computer reporting as "99% updated" cuz I don't want to Decline it for one computer only.

Friday, January 24, 2014 10:30 PM

All replies

• It appears that KB2862330 and its USB driver changes has created a problem with a USB-connected scanner

So, first question: is this the *fixed* KB2862330 that was revised on 1/14/2014, or is this the original KB2862330 from October that has a large number of identified defects?

I would like on this client to Uncheck the update and Hide it so as not to be bothered with it again.

That's one possible approach.

This leaves WSUS to report that the updates for this computer are not complete, which is a distraction I do not want.

Correct. But it's a fact. If you don't install the update, the update is not installed, and nothing is ever going to change that fact.

So, essentially, you're saying you want WSUS to lie about a reality that exists?

No, there's no way to have the Windows Update Agent report the status on an update any different than it actually is.

However, once you have installed KB2862330 every place else you plan to install it, you could DECLINE that update, which will prevent this client (and of course all the others) from reporting ANY state information about that update at all. Downside: You'll have no way of knowing (via WSUS) where the update is or is not installed... AND... none of that prevents an unhelpful user of that system from subsequently installing that update anyway.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, January 24, 2014 9:43 PM
  • Yup it is the "fixed" recent revision of this that is giving a scanner fits.

So the answer to my question is NO and thus I will live with the computer reporting as "99% updated" cuz I don't want to Decline it for one computer only.

Friday, January 24, 2014 10:30 PM