none
My Windows 7 Windows Media Player does not work

Question

• When I click on the button to open it, it doesn't even load.

Earlier today my computer froze while windows media player was up, and it gave me a message saying that it was closed incorrectly and something has been disabled or something to that affect.

I already followed these steps that I found on a previous post:

1)  Click Start and type: features in the Search box.

2)  Click on “Turn Windows Features on or off”.

3)  Expand “Media Features” and uncheck the box “Windows Media Player”.

4)  Then go to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player and delete this folder.

5)  Restart the machine.

6)  Repeat the step 1) and step 2).

7)  Expand “Media Features” and check the box ”Windows Media Player” again.

8)  Restart the machine.

BUT once I had gotten to step 4 it would not let me delete it because I need premission for "TrustedInstaller" whatever that is. I'm afraid I've really screwed up my computer. Please help!

Monday, November 29, 2010 3:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you create a new user account in Control Panel, log in on that account, and try to start WMP, does it load there?

Also, please boot Windows into Clean Boot mode, and check if the issue occurs then as well.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:49 PM
  • If all suggestions do not work, consider running In-place Upgrade to repair the system.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:36 AM
  • What is an in-place upgrade?  I have Windows 7 Home Premium with SP 1.  I have no problems opening or closing WMP 12.  What I have is a Media Player that will not add any files to its library no matter what I have done.  I have ran fixes and all kinds of other things.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled it God knows how many times.  I can't get anything at all.  If I click on Organize, Manage Libraries, Music absolutely nothing happens.  I get no kind of window or anything to manage the music, video, picture of whatever library.  I have a media player that will open and close but does nothing else.  If you can help me I'd appreciate it.
    Monday, November 11, 2013 12:21 AM
  • Wild Child: if you have no problems opening or closing WMP, then you don't have the same issue as the original poster, and ideally you should have created a new question instead of hijacking this one.

But since we're here anyway, I suggest that you close WMP, open Windows Explorer, right-click Libraries in the sidebar, and select Restore default libraries. Does that help?

Tim De Baets

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Nope, that doesn't help at all.  And I have created two different threads on this and nobody seems to be able to give me any way to make WMP work.  I just thought maybe something on this thread would help.  Sorry for "hijacking" a thread that isn't mine.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:56 PM
  • If you right-click the Music library in Explorer, select Delete, and then use Restore default libraries again, does that help? (Your actual music folders/files won't be deleted.)

Also, can you access the other libraries in Explorer: Documents, Pictures, and Videos?

Tim De Baets

Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:31 PM
  • I don't use the libraries at all.  As far as I'm concerned for a single person on a single computer they are a massive waste of programming power.  I'm not longer interested in getting this Media Player to work.  It's just another example of Microsoft's ability to screw up what was a great thing in Windows XP.  They should have stuck to that operating system.
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:49 PM