none
Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded

Question

• Hi

We are experiancing intermitent, but increasingly frequent issues with users logging on and being unable to load their profile. Error is below..It seems to be related to users passwords expiring, but why is this killing the profile?

Soucre: User Profile Service

Event ID:1500

Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, and that your network is functioning correctly.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

The belwo KB fixes it, but the service desk are having to do this on each machine, so checking if anyone has a global fix and an idea as to why this keep re-occuring..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/en-gb

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:02 AM

All replies

• In the KB link you mentioned, there are three methods present. Did you try all the methods?

Also, if the issue persists, create a new user account, and copy all the personal/important files to that user account. Delete the existing user account.

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:17 AM
  • Thanks Balaji, It's not just happening on the one machine, but multiple over multiple sites. So I was really trying to identify what is causing the issue in the first place to stop the servicedesk guys having to fix it on each individual pc.
    Monday, September 16, 2013 9:23 AM
  • In that case, run SFC scan, when you can logon. Any corrupt system files can also cause the issue. Also, make sure User Profile Service Startup type is set to Automatic and is running.

If you are unable to logon, try in Safe Mode.

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Yes we can login as safe mode and yes the service is set to automatic. It seems quite a lot of corruption going on.  I was more looking more for a prevention solution rather than a cure.
    Monday, September 16, 2013 10:56 AM
  • Preventive solution is to reinstall Windows as a lot of files are corrupted, as you say. Cure is to run SFC/create a new user account. Also, make sure the PCs are free from any malware infection.

Personally, it's a good practice to perform clean install every 6 months or 12 months, after backing up important files, to maintain stability. This is because, with usage over time, a lot of temporary files get congested, in conventional HDD type fragmentation increases and errors raise in registry which Windows is not capable of cleaning by itself. Of course, in a corporate scenario, clean installation may not be possible with a large number of PCs. Therefore, imaging a clean installed Windows and restoring it across other PCs is an efficient solution.

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, September 16, 2013 12:16 PM
  • Not very practical though over a 1500+ pc organisation. Has anyone got any other suggestions please.
    Monday, September 16, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

What about restoring the systems to a previous version?

I was experiencing this issue as well after the update (even though this is not our fault and we should maybe be refunded). I restored my system to a previous time and it actually fixed the registry entries. I would try this.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:10 AM
  • Not very practical though over a 1500+ pc organisation. Has anyone got any other suggestions please..

Did anyone get an idea what is causing this????

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Miraculously the issue seems to have gone away. I'm not exactly sure what fixed it. I read somewhere KB980408 should help, so I pushed that out. There was also a few issues on the DC's which were resolved, mainly DNS. So I'd check the health of your DC's and apply that KB...

Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:20 PM