none
CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device Windows 8

Question

• Hi

I have Windows 8 installed and if I right click on my CD/DVD drive my Recording tab is missing in Properties. Basically I can read any CD/DVD but I cannot write a CD/DVD. I have 3 CD/DVD drives on my computer. I found the following solution on this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316529

However this is for Windows XP and I would like to find the solution for Windows 8. Basically I cannot find the register Drives/Volume GUID in Windows 8.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:58 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

Would you please first check whether your DVD/CD drives or the CDs you inserted support burning?

Meanwhile, for missing feature of CD/DVD drive issue, the driver could be the most possible cause. 

Please go to manufacture's of your CD/DVD drive, download the latest driver applied to Windows 8 and install it to check the issue. 

To avoid the cause of improperly loading the driver, I suggest we disable Windows 8 fast boot to see what's going on: 

Please refer to this article: Disable Windows 8 fast startup (hibernate file)

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3152/~/disable-windows-8-fast-startup-(hibernate-file)

To further help you, please upload your system information into skydrive or similar network drives and post back the shared link here for my research. 

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, December 22, 2013 12:51 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Would you please first check whether your DVD/CD drives or the CDs you inserted support burning?

Meanwhile, for missing feature of CD/DVD drive issue, the driver could be the most possible cause. 

Please go to manufacture's of your CD/DVD drive, download the latest driver applied to Windows 8 and install it to check the issue. 

To avoid the cause of improperly loading the driver, I suggest we disable Windows 8 fast boot to see what's going on: 

Please refer to this article: Disable Windows 8 fast startup (hibernate file)

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3152/~/disable-windows-8-fast-startup-(hibernate-file)

To further help you, please upload your system information into skydrive or similar network drives and post back the shared link here for my research. 

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, December 22, 2013 12:51 PM
  • My computer is a virtual machine which is managed by vmware vsphere. On the virtual machine is installed the operating system Windows 8. In fact my computer is an Oracle Sun Ray Client which display a server-hosted virtual desktop. I have virtual CPUs and virtual storage on my computer.  DVDWR device is external connecting through USB to virtual desktop (Sun Ray desktop).

Basically, I do not have a driver to recognize the CD/DVD writer. It is a plug and play LG GP50 Slim Portable DVD Writer. I can read the CDs/DVDs but I cannot write.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Gigi

Monday, January 06, 2014 12:30 PM