none
Using Groove File Sharing Workspaces on Windows 7 64-bit

Question

• I have bought a new desktop preloaded with Windows 7 64-bit. The manufacturer no longer provides CDs for downgrading to 32-bit. We use Groove 2007 and File Sharing Workspaces to share folders across our team, and it appears File Sharing Workspaces are not supported in 64-bit. How can we proceed? Does the Sharepoint 2010 or Office 2010 allow us to use shared folders across machines in 64-bit? If not, then how can we achieve the same functionality?
    Monday, August 09, 2010 3:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi there,

As you have discovered, Office Groove 2007 does not support Groove File Sharing Spaces on 64 bit computers.  However, SharePoint workspace 2010, the successor to Groove does support this functionality.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/office2010/thread/d956e48a-3465-40c9-97ad-963517802be7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649103.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649102.aspx

Gregg

MSFT
    Monday, August 09, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Thanks Gregg,

Is there a free upgrade from Groove 2007 to Sharepoint Workspace 2010? And does Sharepoint 2010 require the rest of Microsoft Office 2010? I don't understand why, if the function works in Sharepoint, it cannot be applied to Groove 2007 too. After all, Groove 2007 is not very old (three years), so it seems a bit soon to be killing it off and making people buy an upgrade.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:48 AM
  • Hi there,

You will need to consult with the vendor where you bought Office Groove 2007 to see if you have a free upgrade.  Genreally the answer is no, but you should check with your vendor for the final answer.  The functionality cannot be added to Groove 2007 because the File Sharing Space functionality needed to be redesigned to accomodate 64 bit technology.  The File Shareing Space functionality actually goes back to Groove Virtual Office 3.x which was released over 6 years ago.

Gregg

MSFT
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:33 PM
  • I accept that just because Microsoft put out a product which was not capable of running on its own operating systems that we should not expect a *free* upgrade...

But is it possible to get a cheaper upgrade?  At the MS site all I can see are full priced licenses.  Wouldn't it be reasonable to at least offer a discount to all us early adopters (I'm the only person I know who ran the 64 bit version of XP!) who wasted our money a few years ago on a MS product which was essentially useless because of OS incompatibility?

• Proposed as answer by johnswolter Monday, November 29, 2010 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:29 PM
  • You may also consider using Windows Live Mesh for this purpose. I never used Groove, but I used FolderShare and it's successor Live Sync (which is now being replaced with Live Mesh) for exactly this purpose. I have not yet upgraded to Live Mesh but hopefully it will have the same functionality as its predecessors wherein you can invite other members (email addresses) to your "shared libraries" so that all of your users don't have to log in with the same email. It is available at www.live.com and it is free! Good luck.
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:11 AM
  • but no, Mesh will not work at all with windows XP.  i tried... and MS websites as well as help sites say so.

and groove2007 does not work on windows 7 64bit.

mesh only works with vista and seven OS's.

this is really frustrating, that just because i bought 1 new computer and still am keeping my older (3 yr old btw, win xp), i SHOULD be able to synchronise data, but microsoft makes it impossible, at least so far. 

if anyone has any solutions as to how to easily and automatically sync winxp and win7 computers, i would love to hear it.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Do you have to install the 64-bit version of Office 2010 for Sharepoint Workspaces File Share to work with Windows 7 64-bit or can we still install the 32-bit version of Office 2010? I have heard of problems with the current release of Office 2010 64-bit being slower and don't want to create a new problem when I try to fix another.

Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:27 PM