none
Momentary disconnects on shared drive on 2008R2 file server

Question

• I've got a question that I've been scratching my head about for a couple of days, so I figured I'd toss it out there and see if anyone's seen something similar.

I've got a Server 2008R2 file server that hosts several shared drives.  One shared drive is basically for storage of software installers - mostly used by our help desk.  When someone tries to run an installer from that shared drive, it will (about 8-9 times out of 10) fail with the error: "Error reading from file: S:\<filename>.  Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."  The error is usually fairly quick, so I don't think it's a timeout, and even happens on very fast installs.  If there's a retry option, that will usually work, indicating that whatever the interruption was, it's very brief in duration.  Obviously, the exact error varies with the program you're trying to install, but it's as if the user has been disconnected from the share.  This happens on both XP and 7 clients, happens for regular users and domain admins, happens if you browse directly to the share instead of relying on the mapped drive... 

I don't see any errors on the file server, and our other drives on that server appear to not be doing this, and neither are our other file servers.  I've tried playing with the idling timeout, I've tried turning off and on SMB signing and some other security-related stuff, but I'm not making progress.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the input!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to check if it is caused by disconnected from the share, you could create a folder on the local hard drive and copy the contents of the software installation disk to this location to see if the issue still exists.

For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below:

Error 1308 or 1311 during software installation

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10296985&linkID=9240617

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Mandy Ye

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  No, the installation works fine if I run it locally.  (I've tested with a wide variety of applications - it's definitely not something to do with the application.)  I also don't see any issues if I pull files down locally - file transfer works just fine.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the client running an installer from the shared drive did not have any SYSTEM permissions.

The Windows "System" group needs to have access to the shared drive. The solution is to edit the permissions for shared drive to add the SYSTEM group and give it Full Control permissions.

Error reading from file ... .msi Verify that the file exists and that you can access it
    http://devsac.blogspot.in/2009/02/error-reading-from-file-msi-verify-that.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Mandy Ye

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Thanks, but I don't think it's that either.  The files will run, they just get interrupted; if I retry, they usually work.  Sometimes they won't fail at all.  If it were a permissions issue, I'd expect to see a consistent failure, not something intermittent.
    Friday, September 20, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if you or some hardware specify the number of users you allow to simultaneously connect to the shared folder. So for some reason on XP and Win7 client the install hits the limit of the software and fails.

Windows also has such setting. You could refer to the article below to limit the number of users of a shared folder:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753521.aspx

If not, you can use Network Monitor to capture network traffic to troubleshoot the root reason for this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812953

Rgeards,

Mandy Ye

Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Thanks.  I checked on the user number limit, but we're good there - I've confirmed that it still happens even when nobody else is connecting to that share.  

I've tried packet capture to identify what's going on, but haven't seen anything particularly helpful.  I'll keep trying. 

Thanks for the help.

Friday, October 04, 2013 1:50 PM