none
SQL Server Import Export Wizard fails while trying to retrieve the data from FastObjects Database

Question

• When trying to import data from FastObjects database to SQL Server 2008 R2 using import/ export wizard we get the following error message :

"Column information for the source and the destination data could not be retrieved, or the data types of source columns were not mapped correctly to those available on the destination provider."

Clicked on View button, the source data is retrieved correctly.
    Clicked on Edit Mapping button, the Import Export Wizard failed with the below error message:
    ===================================
    Column information for the source and destination data could not be retrieved.
    "Test" -> [dbo].[Test]:
    - Cannot find column -1.
    (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)
    ===================================
    Cannot find column -1. (System.Data) 
    at System.Data.DataColumnCollection.get_Item(Int32 index) at System.Data.DataRow.get_Item(Int32 columnIndex) at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Controls.ProviderInfos.MetadataLoader.LoadColumnsFromTable(IDbConnection myConnection, String[] strRestrictions) at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.DtsWizard.OLEDBHelpers.LoadColumnsFromTable(MetadataLoader metadataLoader, IDbConnection myConnection, String[] strRestrictions, DataSourceInfo dsi)at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.DtsWizard.TransformInfo.PopulateDbSourceColumnInfoFromDB(IDbConnection mySourceConnection) at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.DtsWizard.TransformInfo.PopulateDbSourceColumnInfo(IDbConnection mySourceConnection, ColumnInfoCollection& sourceColInfos)

Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The error message clearly says there is a mismatch of columns between source and destination tables. If you are trying to export to the existing table then try to look at the columns on both tables and correct the mismatch and try to transfer the data.

Thanks.

Swapna

Saturday, June 21, 2014 9:51 PM
  • Hi Chennie,

Do you use the latest driver (maybe ODBC driver) for Versant FastObjects? If not, please update the driver first in case there are not supported data types by old Versant FastObjects driver.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:46 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for the info. I've a suspection that the issue is related to the Driver as well. I'm using FastObjects 9.5 OBDC Driver.  I'll contact Versant to see if I could get a copy of the latest version of the FastObjects OBDC driver.

BTW. Just got back to work on this task again late yesterday and I've made some good progress by using the "Write a query to specify the data to transfer" option and this enable me to use the Edit Mappings feature in the SQL Server Import/Export Wizard.

Question: As part of this migration project I'm planning to use the latest SQL Server Database, so do you know if this would help with resolving this problem as I'm still would like to use the automatic import/export provides via the wizard.

Thanks,

Chennie

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:08 PM
  • Hi Chennie,

Thank you for the post.

Does the issue persists after you use the "Write a query to specify the data to transfer" option instead of “Copy data from one or more tables or views” option? If so, the issue may occur due to incorrect data type matching between the FastObjects database data types and SSIS data types. In this condition, I don’t think it is necessary to upgrade the SQL Server version. Since you can open the Column Mappings dialog box, please try to modify the data type mapping manually.

In addition, the issue seems to be the same as the issue described in the following blog:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dataaccesstechnologies/archive/2010/09/09/sql-server-import-export-wizard-fails-while-trying-to-retrieve-the-data-from-pervasive-database.aspx 

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 30, 2014 3:04 AM
  • Hi Mike,

It's working when you write a single select query using the "Write a query to specify the data to tranfer" option. Also, enable you to modify the data type mapping manually before transfer. However, I was not able perform the import/export successfully with multiple queries. I've followed the suggested blog with no luck. 

I've noticed that there is no mapping file from the source types (ie. FastObjects) to SSIS types found in the following location C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\MappingFiles. Any idea?  Do you know if the app can source a new mapping file if I create one and save it to the same location???

BTW. I've updated the FastObjects OBDC Driver and still no luck.

Thanks,
    Chenny

Monday, June 30, 2014 11:24 PM