none
newbe questions...

Question

• Hey eb

Does this make sense to you??

1. on choosing sql server database - database list does not present all databases I am allowed to see.

In order to chose my database I had to go to the steps editor and write my selection

=sql.database("server name","my database")

Is there some where a configuration which limits the number of databases query editor will present to me?

2. on oracle query i can't see views at all just tables...isn't it possible to query oracle views?

3. how can i set the number of sample data query editor presents?

4. i understand there's no way to write free sql as query source or expose the sql query designer had builed

and then modify it in free sql mode?

5.on defining query from sql table i can't chose which fields i want in the query but only which fields would be removed...

Is there a way to reverse the method of chosing the query columns (what if i want 1 column from a table with 30 columns)??

Thanks alot!

Rea

Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:54 PM

Answers

• Check the link in my first reply. It points you to a preview build of v2 that you can use right away!

For the filtering question, maybe we didn't have it in v1.5, but in the latest builds you can click "Load More" button in the filter drop down that tries to go find some more options for you. And you can also use some specific text filters to say "Begins With", "Contains", etc so even if it doesn't show up in the list, you can still get your work done.

And for the columns, you should be able to multi select the columns you want to keep, right click, and choose Remove Other Columns. It's not exactly the experience you describe, but I think it will solve your problem.

• Marked as answer by reapeleg Monday, October 21, 2013 9:00 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 12:49 AM

All replies

• 1. Do you have permission to the master database on the server? That's what we query to get the list of database that you can see. Without permission to master, we can't get the info so we give you the ability to type in the name of the databse directly.
    2. Look in the About dialog. Does the version number start with "1."? If so, then yes, you can only see tables in Oracle. You can install the Preview builds of v2 though and that will let you see Oracle views. The preview is available here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39933
    3. This isn't configurable. Do you want to see more or less? Is it stopping you from achieving your goals? If so, how?
    4. In v1, there was no way to do this but we're adding it in v2. The current preview build which I mention above has support for this through a custom formula. Later builds add a UI for this. The query looks like this
     = Sql.Database("server", "database", [Query="select * from table"])
    5. To keep only 1 column, right click on that column and choose Remove Other Columns from the context menu.

Hope this helps!
    Ben

Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:33 PM
  • Also, for #4, the native database query is mentioned in a recent blog post and it links to more information about the formula.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 4:30 AM
  • Thanks for answering all my questions Ben

I m using v 1.5 - looking firward to v 2 is there a date for release?

Regarding configuration of number of rows preview displys: I see one problem that 

is bothering me with small preview data sets. That is when i want to set a filter on

a column i don't see all the available values that exist in it..How can I over come this limitation in query design mode??

Another issue i find un comfortable is the selection of fields from table i need for my query.

It would be much better to have a list of fields where you can chose from instead of

displaing all fields in workbook first and then filterring out un wanted columns...

Imagine again having to navigate between 30 or 50 columns in order to choose some 7 of them..

Thanks again!

Rea

Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:41 AM
  • Check the link in my first reply. It points you to a preview build of v2 that you can use right away!

For the filtering question, maybe we didn't have it in v1.5, but in the latest builds you can click "Load More" button in the filter drop down that tries to go find some more options for you. And you can also use some specific text filters to say "Begins With", "Contains", etc so even if it doesn't show up in the list, you can still get your work done.

And for the columns, you should be able to multi select the columns you want to keep, right click, and choose Remove Other Columns. It's not exactly the experience you describe, but I think it will solve your problem.

• Marked as answer by reapeleg Monday, October 21, 2013 9:00 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 12:49 AM