none
All Task process tasks are completed but the WF didn't move to the next step

Question

• Hi,

I actually have an issue where I have a workflow designed using SharePoint Designer 2010 . It is a reusable WF associated with content type (Infopath form).

I use custom task approval process in my WF to get approvals from people in parallel. I tested the WF before and it was working normally but now in one of the forms , when the last one in the task process completed his task, the WF didn't proceed to next step although all tasks of task process are completed with outcome "approved" so what may have caused this issue?

And what will happen if I clicked "Cancel all x tasks" where x represents task process name?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that all Task process tasks are completed but the WF didn't move to the next step.

First, please make sure the workflow has no condition or the condition is satisfied. If a step has conditional branches, and each branch has a condition, the workflow performs an action only when the condition in one of the branches is satisfied. If no condition in any branch is satisfied, by default the workflow moves to the next step.

Second, this may happen for certain users. Please make sure the SharePoint group has at least Read permissions for the site. For more information, please refer to SharePoint Designer created workflow that periodically stops. Though it is about the SharePoint 2007, it still works for SharePoint 2010.

Finally, you can only Cancel all Approval  tasks before you approve tasks. If you cancel this task process, all tasks will be automatically canceled and the workflow will proceed to the next step. In the task list, the status become to Completed, the Outcome become to Canceled and The Tasks become to Completed.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Marwa,

my understanding to your issue is that a single form item have this issue, are there any conditions that must also be met for the WF to proceed to next step? sometimes a workflow suddenly stops/freeze on a single/multiple items, it could be anything that caused this, could you provide the WF steps?

Also canceling the task would Finish it and mark it as Canceled.

let me know if you need further assistance

Aabed - If a reply helps you Vote As Helpful, if a reply solves your problem don't forget to Mark As Answer.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that all Task process tasks are completed but the WF didn't move to the next step.

First, please make sure the workflow has no condition or the condition is satisfied. If a step has conditional branches, and each branch has a condition, the workflow performs an action only when the condition in one of the branches is satisfied. If no condition in any branch is satisfied, by default the workflow moves to the next step.

Second, this may happen for certain users. Please make sure the SharePoint group has at least Read permissions for the site. For more information, please refer to SharePoint Designer created workflow that periodically stops. Though it is about the SharePoint 2007, it still works for SharePoint 2010.

Finally, you can only Cancel all Approval  tasks before you approve tasks. If you cancel this task process, all tasks will be automatically canceled and the workflow will proceed to the next step. In the task list, the status become to Completed, the Outcome become to Canceled and The Tasks become to Completed.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:54 AM