none
SCCM 2012 client check result failed

Question

• Hi,

I get a strange error every monday where a good portion (400+) of my clients suddenly start to fail their client check.
    During the following week it looks like they repair themselves and then it comes back the following monday (looks like that is the trend - not 100% sure)

The error in the console looks like this:

The logs (CCMEVAL) looks like this:

<![LOG[Fail to get ccmsetup mutex (0)]LOG]!><time="08:08:41.259-60" date="10-29-2012" component="CcmEval" context="" type="2" thread="3608" file="evalprereq.cpp:192">
    <![LOG[Fail to block ccmsetup]LOG]!><time="08:08:41.259-60" date="10-29-2012" component="CcmEval" context="" type="3" thread="3608" file="evalprereq.cpp:298">
    <![LOG[Evaluation failed with an unexpected result. No remediation will be attempted.]LOG]!><time="08:08:41.259-60" date="10-29-2012" component="CcmEval" context="" type="3" thread="3608" file="cmclientevaluator.cpp:470">

and

<![LOG[The thread doesn't own ccmsetup mutex. The previous wait fun must fail.]LOG]!><time="08:21:03.341-60" date="11-05-2012" component="CcmEval" context="" type="3" thread="5380" file="evalprereq.cpp:217">
    <![LOG[Fail to unblock ccmsetup]LOG]!><time="08:21:03.341-60" date="11-05-2012" component="CcmEval" context="" type="3" thread="5380" file="ccmeval.cpp:118">

All I could find on this issue was some russian dude who ended modifying permissions on the BITS service I think but the solution seemed a bit strange to me.

Any ideas?

Monday, November 05, 2012 9:09 AM

Answers

• Jesper,

Check your client auto upgrade settings. We had this issue and check your clients \ccmsetup\ccmsetup.log if it states this if your autoupdgrade is enabled.

Ccmsetup command line: "C:\Windows\ccmsetup\ccmsetup.exe" /runservice "/AutoUpgrade" "/UpgradePackageVersion:1"

we noticed we started loosing clients due to this issue the ccmeval would bomb and error out

CM 2012 go to "Administration > Site Configuration > Sites" Right click sites and select Hierarchy Settings, Click on tab Client Installation Settings and uncheck "Upgrade client automatically when new client updates are available."

Paul

• Proposed as answer by Paul Melancon Friday, December 14, 2012 2:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jesper Walsted Friday, December 14, 2012 2:39 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Hi Again,

Sorry for the late response but I have been traveling a lot lately.

Disabeling the Automatic upgrade worked like a charm. I would like to use the feature ofcourse but it's better to have a healthy client overview.

Numbers dropped from around 1000 broken to now 200. That number seems a bit more fair :)

Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:51 AM

All replies

• Not much to go on there. Have you tried enabling verbose\debug logging on client to see if it gives you anything more? Once you do, you can just manually execute ccmeval to get the result.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, November 05, 2012 11:52 PM
  • Verbose logging either did not work for me or did not give me any additional info.

This is becomming a huge headache. Every monday 500 clients are "broken" and they need about 2-3 days to repair themselves.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:38 AM
  • Verbose logging either did not work for me or did not give me any additional info.

This is becomming a huge headache. Every monday 500 clients are "broken" and they need about 2-3 days to repair themselves.

OK, with what we have here, I see that it is failing here: Fail to block ccmsetup

This health check looks to take down the run, is considered terminal ... now, you could check out what this test is doing and repro it on the clients.

I'll crack open the file showing the tests later, and see what this one is trying to do, it sounds obvious but needs to be looked at. Is it possible that CCMSETUP is running on these systems still and causing this check to fail? Being random here, not saying that this is the issue.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Jesper,

Check your client auto upgrade settings. We had this issue and check your clients \ccmsetup\ccmsetup.log if it states this if your autoupdgrade is enabled.

Ccmsetup command line: "C:\Windows\ccmsetup\ccmsetup.exe" /runservice "/AutoUpgrade" "/UpgradePackageVersion:1"

we noticed we started loosing clients due to this issue the ccmeval would bomb and error out

CM 2012 go to "Administration > Site Configuration > Sites" Right click sites and select Hierarchy Settings, Click on tab Client Installation Settings and uncheck "Upgrade client automatically when new client updates are available."

Paul

• Proposed as answer by Paul Melancon Friday, December 14, 2012 2:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jesper Walsted Friday, December 14, 2012 2:39 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Thanks Paul, I will try that. Autoupgrade is enabled in my setup.

I will reply monday morning again to report what happens :)

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Just curious if that resolved your issue..

Paul

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Hi Again,

Sorry for the late response but I have been traveling a lot lately.

Disabeling the Automatic upgrade worked like a charm. I would like to use the feature ofcourse but it's better to have a healthy client overview.

Numbers dropped from around 1000 broken to now 200. That number seems a bit more fair :)

Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:51 AM
  • Glad that worked. Note that Client Upgrade is for client SP upgrades only (so there was no real reason it should be enabled anyway as there are no SPs yet) and is essentially broken in RTM so shouldn't be used at all. It has been overhauled for SP1 though which is when it will become useful.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:40 PM