none
ADMT 3.2 Server Question

Question

• ADMT 3.2 documentation recommends installing and running ADMT on a member server in the target domain.  I'm interested in performing inter-forest account migrations but I'm having problems finding a member server in the target forest/domain that I can use for ADMT.  Can I run ADMT on a management server in server in the source forest that is neither a member of the source domain nor the target domain?  Is there any way to make this work reliably?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:36 PM

Answers

• We have to run ADMT on a management server in server in the source forest that is either a member of the source domain or the target domain. I am sorry to tell you that there is no way to realize your request.  Besides, If you are using ADMT v3.1, all target domains must be at least at the Microsoft Windows® 2000 native functional level. If you are using ADMT v3.2, all source and target domains must be at least at the Windows Server® 2003 functional level.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your posting.
    There are some MS article talking about InterForest migration:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16208.interforest-migration-with-admt-3-2-part-2.aspx#Interforest_Migration_with_ADMT_3_2_Part_1

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16208.interforest-migration-with-admt-3-2-part-2.aspx

I am not sure you can run ADMT on a management server.

You should install ADMT v3.2 on a member server. 
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc974370(v=ws.10).aspx

ADMT 3.2 common installation issues

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2010/07/09/admt-3-2-common-installation-issues.aspx

Regards.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Sorry, I missed that there was a reply to my question.

The management server that I'm using is a member server of a domain in the source forest but not the source domain itself.  I've been experimenting since I asked the question and I'm having some unpredictable results migrating groups and users.  I have a couple of questions that maybe you can help with.

I'm having problems figuring out how to have a domain administrator account in the target domain that is also an administrator in the source domain (actually I want the account to be a domain admin in both places because I need to be able to migrate accounts both ways).  I'm "spoofing" by using identally named accounts in both the source and target forest/domain, but I don't know how to use a single account because i can't figure out how to add an account from one forest/domain to the domain admins group in the other forest/domain.

I'm also having some problems with occasionally having the migration fail during a user migration.  The last message is that ADMT is Expanding group membership for a user, then I get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library popup box saying "The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team for more information."  I found a reference to this error in an earlier release of ADMT but I'm running version 3.2, the latest release.  Any suggestions?

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:04 PM
  • ADMT server has to be part of the domain. You can’t install and complete the migration from a standalone server.

Santhosh Sivarajan | Houston, TX

Windows 2012 Book - Migrating from 2008 to Windows Server 2012

http://www.sivarajan.com/
    FaceBookTwitter LinkedIn SS Tech Forum
    This post is provided ASIS with no warran

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:40 PM
  • The ADMT server IS a member server.  I'm actually trying to do migrations both ways between two domains in different forests.  The ADMT server is a member server of a domain in one of the two forests, but the domain is neither the source domain nor the target domain.  In other words the ADMT server is a member server in either the source forest or target forest (depending which way I'm going) but it is not a member server of the source domain or target domain.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:09 PM
  • We have to run ADMT on a management server in server in the source forest that is either a member of the source domain or the target domain. I am sorry to tell you that there is no way to realize your request.  Besides, If you are using ADMT v3.1, all target domains must be at least at the Microsoft Windows® 2000 native functional level. If you are using ADMT v3.2, all source and target domains must be at least at the Windows Server® 2003 functional level.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:23 AM