none
Upgrading to Windows Server 2012 Active Directory

Question

• Hi,

I am looking for a Case Study where Client is running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Server Active directory with Exchange 2010 , Lync 2010, What factors should be considered during gradation and process until all the Apps used new 2012 Active Directory.

Regards

Usman Ghani

Usman Ghani - MCITP Exchange 2010

Sunday, February 02, 2014 12:22 PM

Answers

• If you look at the matrix of Exchange->AD supportable configurations, it does list Windows Server 2012 as supportable, but it DOES NOT list Windows Server 2012 R2 as a supportable configuration.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719(EXCHG.141).aspx

To be honest, I'm not sure what has drastically changed to not allow these two to work together, or if it's just still in testing. I'm having a hard time believing it won't work.  It's actually on my list of things to do today to lab this scenario.  I'll come back with my results if you're interested.

- Chris Ream - Remember, if you find a post that is helpful, or is the answer, please mark it appropriately.

Sunday, February 02, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Hi Usman.Ghani,

To upgrade DC from windows server 2008r2 to windows server 2012 with Exchange server and Lync server, you can follow this article and get the relevant information in the part of Application compatibility:

Upgrade Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2012       

In addition, for the part of upgrading with Exchange server and Lync server, I also recommend you can post your issue in the Exchange server and Lync server forum for more effective support:

Exchange server forum

Lync server forum

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:29 AM

All replies

• If you look at the matrix of Exchange->AD supportable configurations, it does list Windows Server 2012 as supportable, but it DOES NOT list Windows Server 2012 R2 as a supportable configuration.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719(EXCHG.141).aspx

To be honest, I'm not sure what has drastically changed to not allow these two to work together, or if it's just still in testing. I'm having a hard time believing it won't work.  It's actually on my list of things to do today to lab this scenario.  I'll come back with my results if you're interested.

- Chris Ream - Remember, if you find a post that is helpful, or is the answer, please mark it appropriately.

Sunday, February 02, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Hi Usman.Ghani,

To upgrade DC from windows server 2008r2 to windows server 2012 with Exchange server and Lync server, you can follow this article and get the relevant information in the part of Application compatibility:

Upgrade Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2012       

In addition, for the part of upgrading with Exchange server and Lync server, I also recommend you can post your issue in the Exchange server and Lync server forum for more effective support:

Exchange server forum

Lync server forum

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:29 AM