none
Performing a silent custom configuration of biztalk server 2010

Question

• Hello, I have been struggling with performing a silent configuration of BizTalk Server 2010 Enterprise.  I need to perform a custom configuration rather than a basic one.  I have become intimately familiar with Configuration.exe but do not see anywhere in that application, nor in the BizTalk Configuration File where you can indicate what type of configuration you want to perform?

I have successfully automated editing the template BTConfig.xml file that I created and have validated that it works fine by doing a custom installation and importing the config file through the Configuration.exe UI.  

I have already spent much time researching this in the available BizTalk documentation, searches on the Internet, etc.  I have not found anything to help.  I would very much appreciate if someone knows how to do this and would reply to this post!

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Friday, September 27, 2013 4:49 PM

Answers

• While going through the configuration framework options for BizTalk I encountered the following snippet @http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa558808.aspx ...

Quote:

When you configure BizTalk Server for the first time using the Configuration Wizard, the Configuration Framework generates an XML file (a configuration snapshot) that you can then modify (that is, change user names, passwords, and so on) and export to other computers. You save your configuration snapshot on the Configuration Summary page, part of the Configuration Wizard. You can use this snapshot to replicate your configuration as part of a scripted installation. This file is located at <BizTalk Installation Path>\ConfigMain.xml.

End Quote:

This leads me to believe that it is not the Exported Configuration which is to be used as a template for a silent (unattended) configuration. Read the highlighted portion of the text and also note the config filename is "ConfigMain.xml" and I seem to recollect the configuration confirmation page showing "Custom Configuration Mode". I don't have one handy but it looks promising IMHO.

Regards.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:10 AM

All replies

• You're well on the right track already. You're going to take that customized .xml file and pass it (via cmd line) to the same configuration.exe like so:

.\Configuration.exe /s "your_config_file.xml" /l "where_to_log_the_status.log"

Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Nick.  This just performs a "basic" configuration, not a "custom" configuration.  I have the lumps to prove it :)

Tim

Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:29 AM
  • Having checked the config file, I do not see any question pertaining to the configuration mode. I am under the impression that the option box is only to decide whether to display a certain set of questions of not. I'm assuming that on selection of the configuration mode was only to decide the sequence of screens to be displayed during the UI configuration and if you choose simple config, the same a/c is used and the location of the DB is assumed to be same as specified too.

I would suggest you log a call with Microsoft to help resolve this issue as I do not see a reason why the answers to the configuration in the case of a multi-server deployment (domain based accounts/groups, remote SQL, etc) should not be honored when specified. It may be that all that work (Domain Account, etc) should be pre-configured before you run it in the silent mode.

Regards.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 7:24 AM
  • While going through the configuration framework options for BizTalk I encountered the following snippet @http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa558808.aspx ...

Quote:

When you configure BizTalk Server for the first time using the Configuration Wizard, the Configuration Framework generates an XML file (a configuration snapshot) that you can then modify (that is, change user names, passwords, and so on) and export to other computers. You save your configuration snapshot on the Configuration Summary page, part of the Configuration Wizard. You can use this snapshot to replicate your configuration as part of a scripted installation. This file is located at <BizTalk Installation Path>\ConfigMain.xml.

End Quote:

This leads me to believe that it is not the Exported Configuration which is to be used as a template for a silent (unattended) configuration. Read the highlighted portion of the text and also note the config filename is "ConfigMain.xml" and I seem to recollect the configuration confirmation page showing "Custom Configuration Mode". I don't have one handy but it looks promising IMHO.

Regards.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:10 AM
  • Thank you for your reply! I will give this a try.

Tim

Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:38 PM