none
Force Re-Install of SCCM Client

General discussion

• I am pushing out my SCCM client to PCs via GPO (yeah, i know the MS approved way is using WSUS). The first time the client installations ran I had forgotten to add all the IP ranges to boundaries so it failed for some PCs. However group policy seems to think that the client has successfully installed because there are no subsequent attempts to install the client on the failed PCs even after I've rebooted a few about 5 or 6 times over the period of 4 or 5 hours. Is there any way to force the install again?

I know I could choose to "redeploy application" from group policy management but that would re-install the client on ALL pcs that already have the client installed and I don't want that.

Hibs Ya Bass!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:14 AM

All replies

• Failed as in didn't get installed at all?  Or it hasn't registered with the site?  It sounds like they just didn't register.  They should register if you turn on Automatic Site Assignment in the properties of the Boundary Group after you add the ranges to the group.  If you need to reinstall, a manual right click install will reinstall the client.

Also, the best way to install (and reinstall if it didn't install properly) with a GPO is to use a start up script like this one.

Mike Leach | http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/mleach/default.aspx

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:57 AM
  • A couple of additional side points:

- WSUS is not "the" Microsoft approved way. It is simply one supported way; there are many others.

- The existence of boundaries in no way affects client agent installation. Client = No in the console is not in any way indicative of a client agent not being installed, it means the client agent is not communicating with the site. This could be for any number of reasons. Thus, there is no reason for the client agent to be reinstalled.

This leads to a main reason why not to use a GPO or WSUS for client installation: both rely on auto-site assignment which in turn rely on boundaries. Relying on auto-site assignment is a lose-lose scenario.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:04 PM
  • That is strange because when the client first tried to install there was an error in the ccmsetup.log stating it couldn't find the site info and it looked related to an AD boundary query right before the error.

I checked my boundary groups and sure enough I hadn't added the 192.168.0.0/23 IP range to the correct boundary group. After I did that the client installed fine.

Hibs Ya Bass!

• Edited by broonster27 Friday, October 18, 2013 1:03 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 1:02 AM