none
WSUS | How can i deploy KB2671387 .msu file using WSUS.

Question

• I have a WSUS server with NO internet connection.

I have downloaded the .msu file of KB2671387 to my local machine. How can i deploy this .msu file of KB2671387 to few of my client machines using WSUS ?

I cannot import update as there is no internet connection. I need to use WSUS to deploy this patch.

Please guide step-by-step procedure.

Regards,

Govardhan

Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

Answers

I have downloaded the .msu file of KB2671387 to my local machine. How can i deploy this .msu file of KB2671387 to few of my client machines using WSUS ?

I cannot import update as there is no internet connection. I need to use WSUS to deploy this patch.

I also answered this question in the Windows-Noob forum yesterday afternoon.

Here's the approximate text of that response (I've updated it to reflect additional information):

You cannot deploy MSU files with WSUS. Period.

That's by design. MSU files are typically associated with hotfixes, which are not intended for mass distribution, thus the lack of support for using WSUS in that fashion.

This particular update, however, has been discussed previously with regard to this need. KB2671387 is an informational article about MS12-020, so I'm a bit confused at the statement that you've obtained an MSU associated with KB2671387.

The actual patches are found in KB2621440 (WinXP/WS2003) and KB2667402 (Win7/WS2008R2) and are already available for deployment using WSUS presuming they were synchronized to your export server and imported with all the rest of the regular updates.

As for a scenario where you need to deploy the contents of an MSU with WSUS, the SourceForge article (cited previously by David) describes how to do it with the free Local Updates Publisher (or other third-party products that are also available for this purpose). It should be noted that it's not the MSU file that is deployed, but rather the process involves gutting the MSU file to get at the underlying installer file. MSU is just a wrapper with instructions for the WUSA.EXE utility, which is what is used normally to install MSU-based packages.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, August 02, 2013 2:45 PM

All replies

• While it's not possible to simply import .msu hotfixes into WSUS, you may look into extracting and publishing them to your WSUS server using local publishing. Here's some instructions on how to do this using local update publisher.  

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/localupdatepubl/index.php?title=Distributing_Hotfixes_with_LUP

Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:19 PM

I also answered this question in the Windows-Noob forum yesterday afternoon.

Here's the approximate text of that response (I've updated it to reflect additional information):

You cannot deploy MSU files with WSUS. Period.

That's by design. MSU files are typically associated with hotfixes, which are not intended for mass distribution, thus the lack of support for using WSUS in that fashion.

This particular update, however, has been discussed previously with regard to this need. KB2671387 is an informational article about MS12-020, so I'm a bit confused at the statement that you've obtained an MSU associated with KB2671387.

The actual patches are found in KB2621440 (WinXP/WS2003) and KB2667402 (Win7/WS2008R2) and are already available for deployment using WSUS presuming they were synchronized to your export server and imported with all the rest of the regular updates.

As for a scenario where you need to deploy the contents of an MSU with WSUS, the SourceForge article (cited previously by David) describes how to do it with the free Local Updates Publisher (or other third-party products that are also available for this purpose). It should be noted that it's not the MSU file that is deployed, but rather the process involves gutting the MSU file to get at the underlying installer file. MSU is just a wrapper with instructions for the WUSA.EXE utility, which is what is used normally to install MSU-based packages.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, August 02, 2013 2:45 PM