none
Change background color of Windows Explorer?

Question

• I can successfully change the background color of "Window", which will
    correctly change the background color of something like Notepad.

But I cannot find any way to change the background color of the
    Windows Explorer.  You can do it in XP, but I could never find a
    way in Vista.  Is there some way to do it in Win7?

Thanks,
    Phil
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 4:04 PM

Answers

• Yes, I am seeing that result also. The comments thread will be the place to pass this on.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Phil Klien Friday, May 08, 2009 2:34 PM
    Friday, May 08, 2009 8:54 AM

All replies

• Create a style sheet with your background color specified. Open IE, Tools menu, click the Accessibility button on the Advanced tab, and assign the style sheet
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Hi Mark,

That should work with Internet Explorer, but I want to set the background color of Windows Explorer in Win 7.  Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Phil
    • Edited by Phil Klien Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:40 PM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:40 PM
  • My advanced settings in Personalizations, and the 'Item' drop box, let me set Window item to a color that will be used by explorer just like notepad. If you want individual colors for different folders, it's not an available option in Win 7.

The Misc. forum in this group has a 'comments' thread. You can add your experience, to help the dev team know your preferences Have Comments about Windows 7 RC (Do not post questions here).url:
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I'm still not able to change the background color of Windows Explorer in Win7.
    I've uploaded a screen capture showing my results.  You can see that the
    background of Notepad's window has successfully changed to the cream
    color I want, but the right and left panes of Windows Explorer remain their original
    white (even after a reboot).  Am I missing something?

PNG screen capture on SkyDrive:
    http://cid-cee68305a6fc5854.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/ScreenCaptureShowingExplorerBackgroundColorOnWin7.png

Thanks,
    Phil
    • Edited by Phil Klien Friday, May 08, 2009 12:16 AM
    Friday, May 08, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Yes, I am seeing that result also. The comments thread will be the place to pass this on.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Phil Klien Friday, May 08, 2009 2:34 PM
    Friday, May 08, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Ok Mark, thanks for confirming that.  I'll add it as a "feature request" in the comments thread.

Phil
    Friday, May 08, 2009 2:33 PM
  • This is not a case for a feature request, but clearly a complaint about a very silly option on killing a feature. Well, just one more, as we are getting used to since a few years ago, replaced by even sillier gimmicks for brainless people, the newer software buyers. Drop the useful features and pack the software with rubbish for ignorants buying computers but not knowing how to use them.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:21 PM
  • This is not a case for a feature request, but clearly a complaint about a very silly option on killing a feature. Well, just one more, as we are getting used to since a few years ago, replaced by even sillier gimmicks for brainless people, the newer software buyers. Drop the useful features and pack the software with rubbish for ignorants buying computers but not knowing how to use them.

Insulting people who happen to know less about one particular subject like computers or anything else for that matter, doesn't make you look any smarter.

Replying to a thread that has been dead for more than two years doesn't improve that imago.

Good for you though, at least you know how to use your computer. Pitty you couldn't use it for something more usefull.

I for one happen to think W7 is the best OS Microsoft ever produced even though it dropped a few thing I liked about XP.

Like with XP there are more and more tweaks and programs out there to make W7 behave and look the way you want it to, and there will be many more coming.

That's what I like about Windows opposed to a closed OS like OSX. One can change almost anything to fit ones needs, and so I did.

I was also looking for a way to change the background color of the Explorer because I want to make it darker. (easier on the eyes and less battery consumption).

If and when I find a solution, I'll report here, who know's, maybe some people read this even after 2 years.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:15 PM
  • The following thread might help you change the background color on Windows Explorer:

Windows Background Color could not be changed.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:36 AM
  • Hmmnn... I just got around to this now.  My newer LCD monitors don't show fonts and colours in Explorer very well in Win-7. Perhaps its my eyes- I'm getting older.

Back in Win 95,98 and 2000 we could easily change all manner of fonts screen and headings. Now, in Win-7 much of this has been replaced by "themes".

The scroll bar in particular is hard to see. If I choose some "theme" to it better, all manner of other items get changed drastically.

I suppose I shall have to find out how to make my own theme...

Oh well- time to goog... uh, I mean BING this topic for further help!  ;-)

- aqk

Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:16 AM
  • After 2 years I am reading this thread.

I have been using Windows since version 3.1. Guess my age.  I am still hoping that I shall be able to color the screen comfortable to my eye, short of adjusting the the Brightness/Contrast of the monitor.

I spend a lot of time in front of the monitor and it is tiring with a white background.  I would like full control of the colors of the desktop including the application like Excel and Word. 

Yes good features (albeit less used) seemed to be removed and feature less used by the aging population seem to be brought to the front.

Microsoft should realise that those young people in the 70s/80s are still alive and using computers (even more now) and that I think that group comprises a large proportion of the PC users, not just the young. We don't so much play game, but work and communicate using IT.

Would appreciate to know if you found a solutions yet.

PS I think there cannot be an "all solution" window.  There can be a common platform/interface, but there must be differentiation for tablets used for play, tablets used for work (hybrid). PCs work differently from tablets.  PCs for "office use"  is different from "home use" although the concept of Home/Office is present. That's where Windows did well with multiple users on one PC.  There will be limitation but but we use a compact car to go the town for quick errands and use a station wagon when we go camping with the family. Both are cars.

Thank you and best regards

Prabir Mittra

Malaysia

Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:01 AM