none
Windows Server 2012 Evaluation Activate

Question

• Hi,

I have downloaded the Evaluation version of Windows Server 2012 standard, and would like to know if the evaluation has started or not. (If not, I would be in a 10-day trial, correct? - If so, no warnings are showing)

Right now, I have my product number been 10 digit number (first 5 with *'s, second being GJCP9)

Please let me know how I can activate my 180 days evaluation.

Also, I try to activate via online but gives me the following:

error: 0X80072EE7

Server Name or address not resolved.

Please tell me what my current server status is and or what I can do to resolve so I can start my 180 days evaluation.

Regards.

Monday, December 23, 2013 7:41 PM

Answers

• Can only be one of two things that I can think of.  First, there is something in your network setup that is causing the problem.  Using Dharmesh's suggestion, did you check your hosts file?  Is this a standalone system or is it joined to a domain?  If joined to a domain, it Windows Update blocked by a group policy so that it always searches locally for updates?

The other thing is really coming from left field - bad media?  I've never seen bad media act this way, but there is always a first time.  And, if it is a network configuration issue due to domain membership, you would need to install in workgroup to see if it would activate.  If it is something else preventing access to Windows Update - some setting in your network - then a second installation won't make any difference.

I know it works - I've activated many evaluation copies.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:18 PM
  • can you check for name resolution and ability to connect to the activation URLs listed here?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793438.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:08 PM

All replies

• Windows Server evaluation copies automatically activate when they gain access to the internet to check in with Microsoft.  This starts a 180 day trial period.  You only get 10 days if the evaluation copy cannot reach Microsoft.  You do not have to do anything manually to get it to activate.

Monday, December 23, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thank you for the reply.

From what you have mentioned above, this means that my Windows Server 2012 evaluation is already activated although my computer says not activated? - im guessing this regards to full version, correct?

How can I check to assure that the evaluation (180 days) have started, instead of the 10-day trial?

Also, how can I check my days remaining on my evaluation or trial?

Regards.

Monday, December 23, 2013 11:50 PM
  • on the server, open an elevated CMD console (Run as administrator);
    execute: cscript slmgr.vbs /dli

the output should show the current license status

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 12:43 AM
  • Hello Don,

Thank you for the reply.

I have gotten from the cmd window "can not find script file" after typing in "cscript slmgr.vbs /dli"

What can I do when this happens?

Regards.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Did you open the CMD console "elevated" ?
    When you do so, it should open up at c:\windows\system32
    the SLMGR.VBS script, exists at c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs
    so you might need to change to that directory, if the default is different for you;

e.g.: (showing Win7 using the DLV command, but similar output should occur for you)

Don

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:21 AM
  • If your computer is telling you that it is not activated, it is most likely not activated.  So you have to ensure you have connectivity to Microsoft.  When the connection is there, it will activate.  If you have access to the internet, but you are not getting activated, it might be that your network administrator is blocking certain types of outbound connections.  You may need to check with your network administrator.

It would be helpful if you posted the output of the slmgr.vbs /dli command.  That would give us further information.  As long as you are running under a privileged account, you can simply enter slmgr.vbs /dli into the PowerShell window - no cscript required - and it will open a pop-up window with further information.  In fact, if you use cscript, it will give you the error you posted.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Hi Tim and Don,

Yes, the method Don has provided me works.

It gives me the following script.

"Name: Windows(R), ServerStandardEval edition

Description: Windows(R) Operating System, TIMEBASED_EVAL channel

Partial Product Key: GJCP9

License Status: Initial grace period

Time remaining: 7556 minute(s) (6 day(s))"

(I couldnt attach the snap shot so I have typed out the script)

Please let me know what I can do.

Regards.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Okay, that shows that you are running the evaluation copy and that it is in its initial grace period of 10 days.

Now, have you validated that the machine can access microsoft.com?  If so, have you validated that the network folks are not blocking certain outbound traffic?

I have had the situation in the past where I installed an evaluation copy to a machine that did not have access to the internet.  I configured it to reach the network and it activated in a matter of minutes (some in a matter of seconds).

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:57 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Yes, I can access the internet and can browse through microsoft.com website.

Regards.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

According to your Error 0x80072EE7; the error may occur if the client computer cannot find the correct IP address when it tries to resolve a URL for the Windows Update Web site or for the Microsoft Update Web site. This error may occur if the Hosts file contains a static IP address.

To resolve this error, examine the hosts file and make sure that the file does not list any static IP entries for the Windows Update Web site. If contains any static entry then comment the entry by adding # at beginning of the entry. Please refer below article for detail information.
    You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site

Apart from that for activation query I can suggest you to contact Microsoft Volume Licensing Activation centers for professional help.

Microsoft Volume Licensing Activation Centers Worldwide Telephone Numbers
    https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

Hope it helps!
    Regards.
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 6:07 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft Volume Licensing Activation were one of the department, when I made a phone call, to use this forum for help.

They, along with 7 other microsoft department, were useless, leading me to using thisforum in order to activate this 10-day grace period Evaluation which expires in 4 days.

-------------------------------------

We've Also:

Fully updated the OS, Turned of all the firewalls, checked time (region) setting, and they were all good and still, can NOT activate the 180 days evaluation.

Regards.

• Edited by Hokes86 Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:33 PM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Can only be one of two things that I can think of.  First, there is something in your network setup that is causing the problem.  Using Dharmesh's suggestion, did you check your hosts file?  Is this a standalone system or is it joined to a domain?  If joined to a domain, it Windows Update blocked by a group policy so that it always searches locally for updates?

The other thing is really coming from left field - bad media?  I've never seen bad media act this way, but there is always a first time.  And, if it is a network configuration issue due to domain membership, you would need to install in workgroup to see if it would activate.  If it is something else preventing access to Windows Update - some setting in your network - then a second installation won't make any difference.

I know it works - I've activated many evaluation copies.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:18 PM
  • can you check for name resolution and ability to connect to the activation URLs listed here?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793438.aspx

Don

Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:08 PM
  • Tim, Don,

We are using the standard Host files, so nothing has been altered.

We are not connected to a domain, but are connected to network.

We have also redownloaded the software, and have reinstalled it, yet it still does not work.

Regards.

Monday, December 30, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Could it be, that Microsoft does no longer provide activation for activations of "not the most current" versions of Windows operating systems? (Which would be a bad idea, since some evaluations of application servers are not yet compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2, i.e. SharePoint 2013.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 06, 2014 10:42 AM
  • Hey,

Just tried to activate and it worked fine.

It seems like Microsoft was having trouble all this time.

Regards.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:00 PM