none
Documents lost approval status suddenly

Question

• Hello,

We have a SharePoint library and a custom approval workflow. When a document gets uploaded to the library, the workflow starts, the approver approves it and the status of the document is 'Approved'.

This is working for a few months now, containing 200 documents, but this morning, panic! The oldest 30 documents, have no status! Not approved, not rejected, nothing! When I click the document, and want to see the corresponding workflow, it looks like no workflow is attached to that document! How can this happen? I never deleted a workflow. Sometimes I customize the workflow in SharePoint Designer but this never happened before!

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:55 AM

Answers

• For the future you can set a column with the workflow state so that it isn't lost when the workflow goes.

To retrieve it from the backups you could restore them to a new web application then either dump the data out to excel or use a script to pull it out. It depends how many backups you've got to process and how happy you are with scripts.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:19 AM

All replies

• Looks like it's the auto cleanup timer that deletes workflow information after 60 days. Damn.. My client uses views based on approval status, so now the older documents do not show up because they have no status.

I disabled the cleanup timer now just until I figure out a proper way to solve this.. 

Is there a way to retrieve this kind of workflow info backup? I create a full backup every week using the central administration.
    • Edited by Koen087 Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:10 AM
  • For the future you can set a column with the workflow state so that it isn't lost when the workflow goes.

To retrieve it from the backups you could restore them to a new web application then either dump the data out to excel or use a script to pull it out. It depends how many backups you've got to process and how happy you are with scripts.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:19 AM